the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

problems with a radar detector

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

I purchased an Early Warning 3100 radar detector. I used it and then noticed that out of nowhere, with nothing in site, on a completely random basis, and with no noticeable environmental anomolies occurring, the thing was go off with its strongest signal strength (that would be 9) and on the Ka band. then it would slowly beep down and quiet. I sent it to Early Warning for replacement and received what is supposed to be a new one. The receipt indicated that they did not find any fault with the old one but they replaced it anyway.

So, I'm driving, its doing good, and then it starts doing the thing again. It's done it 3 times now in a week and a half. This is an improvement over the last time but still, something seems amis.

While the radar was sent off, I used a Whistler in place of the EW. I am not sure of model, but it's small with few additional features: it covers X, K, and I think Superwide Ka, and Laser too, and has VG2 cloaking as well as 360 detection. It usually stays in my other vehicle and when I was using it, I had no problems at all. I drive the same route to work everyday and it's largely backroads with a very sparse population.

Any ideas?

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 2:53 AM / IP Logged  
Does it happen in the same spot on the roads? It could be speed traps and the EW is over sensitive to it.
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
Welcome to the wonderful world of Radar Detectors. There is so much RF interferance and such out there with wi-fi and micro-wave signals bouncing from place to place that a radar detector is ultimatley usless.. Even the high end ones gave us a ton of falsing.. I don't even deal with them anymore... people just don't get the concept and the other things that affect this cheap little reciver..
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

It happens completely at random, out of no where.

Thats too bad about the oversensitivity of the unit to all the other crap floating out there. If this one continues to do it, I may just swap it out with my Whistler as I havent had any problems with it. I can put the EW in the truck.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity?

audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2007 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Microwave towers cause this to happen. If you drive by a cellphone tower (anything like that) or even drive by grocery stores that has the auto open/close doors. Those cause the dectetor to go off.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic