icon

odd 98 4runner door lock issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nrgetic99 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 98 4runner that came with an aftermarket remote start alarm.

The alarm functions fine. The issue is the door locks. The alarm locks and unlocks the doors when it should. The issue is that the door lock switches in the front doors don't work.

I checked the wiring and the alarm interfaces with the RED / white (lock -) and RED / yellow (unlock -) wires in the harrness plug in the D/S kick panel. Its a 98 and has no key sense wires.

If I remove the wire from the alarm, the door lock switches work fine. I tried diodes (both directions just for kicks) and that does not help. The alarm has on board relays for the lock/unlock function and from what I can see of the locking module (separate 6 pin connector into alarm control unit), one wire on each side is grounded and the other goes to the respective lock or unlock output. This suggests two on board relays but you can never tell. 

My final though is to use a pair of outboard relays and use the alarm outputs to control those but I am struggling as to why the on board relays will work fine to lock/unlock but somehow prevent the door switches from functioning.

Any similar experience or ideas ? Thanks 

Rookie !
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
It's probably the child safty locks..Lock RED / white (-) Unlock red yellow and red blue . the Red yellow and red blue must be connected together and isolated with diodes to trigger at the same time...
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
nrgetic99 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks...

I will try that. The wiring diag I have from alldatapro does not show RED / blue but does show a Blue/black unlock for the two key lock switches in the doors.

Rookie !
nrgetic99 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  

Ok,

Solved my own problem. Spent a couple of fun hours in my footwell probing wires. In essence, the locking module on the alarm control unit was wired incorrectly but if I also say I found out the alarm is an FAI 8100 or Magicar 8100 then that's not unusual. This is due to the confusing wiring diagrams that are available out on the net.

For folks who want to wire an FAI 8100 for negative door locks, the correct wiring is :

Black and White : Not used, do not common up to ground as described in alarm supplemental notes

Green : To factory lock, Blue to factory unlock

ORANGE / Pink : Common up to ground

The fun part is that it was wired with the Black and White wires commoned to ground and this leaves both the lock and unlock wires grounded with a brief +ve pulse. The reversal back from +ve is what was tripping the factory locks. That was the confusing part...the locks worked from the alarm unit but did NOT work from the factory door switches the front door side panels. This was because the lock/unlock wires staying grounded prevented the factory switch from being able to show a difference for lock and unlock.

Now, the factory locks work with a -ve pulse and the feeds from the alarm stay open circuit allowing the factory doors switches to function.

Sorry for the long winded explantion but a quick search here reveals a lot of folks are having questions about FAI 8100 door locking modules.

S

Rookie !

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic