the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

791vx range is horrible, bad car battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yg17 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
Today, I noticed that the range on my 791 is just absolute crap. I was about 10 feet from my car and it wouldn't lock. I moved closer and closer, and hit the button, and it finally locked when I was right at the drivers side door.
My remote's battery level showed 3 out of 4 bars, and I didn't think much of it because I've gone down to 1 bar and still had good range. But, I did replace it with a fresh battery anyways, and the range still blows.
I've had a suspicion for awhile that my car battery is on its way out. It's the stock battery, a bit more than 3 years old, it's been through some pretty tough winters (especially this winter when I was doing freezing cold starts several times a day) and I've noticed lately, it's been a bit more hesitant to start, I have to hold the key for a bit longer. Could the battery be dead enough that it's not able to provide enough juice for the alarm, but barely enough to start the car?
Thanks
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
Try unplugging and replugging in your antenna to re-sync the remote to the alarm. The DEI systems monitor voltage during start, and if the battery in the vehicle is weak normally the remote start will not operate, it will start to engage and then just stop. If your vehicle is remote starting I would have to think your problem is with the alarm and remote not being properly synchronized not the vehicle's battery.
Another thing I would try is re-grounding the system. If the system has a poor ground, or one that has gotten worse over time it will also cause range issues.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

1) new RF interference? New metal fences in the area?

2) Ground connection -- is the system ground connection loose or questionable?

3) Change the battery in your 2-way keyfob anyway

4) VMM your car battery -- should be over 12.44

The search function is your friend.
yg17 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
RF interference: Nope, none that I know of. This has happened in several different areas, it's not just isolated to my house or anything.
Ground: Wouldn't know where to look. I suppose I could take it back to the shop that installed it, it's got a lifetime warranty
Keyfob battery: Brand new
Car battery: Just installed a brand new Red Top today. I was hoping it would fix this problem, but I need a new one anyways.
I was directly behind the car, trying to pop the trunk today, and it just wouldn't do it. I moved towards the front of the car (the antenna's on the windshield) and it popped right open.
Anyone have any suggestions before I call the place that installed it? Thanks
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
Since your system was professionally installed, I would take it back to the shop that installed it and explain your concerns to them. Most shops will void their warranty if the customer messes with the installation afterwards. Range from the rear of the vehicle will be less than that of the front, especially if you have window tint, however it should be much better than what you are describing.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  

The window tint thing is the cause I was going to suggest, but ive had dei pieces go bad like this where there is zero range, and I had to swap the unit out. The 791's have notorious problems with the 2 way remotes, so just take it back and get them to swap both out for you. Viper has Lifetime warranty. Hope this helps

My rifle is my friend...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic