icon

momentary switch toggle hi beams in car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ewingr 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 1956 Chevrolet which has a floor board mounted dimmer switch (rememer those?...showing your yoru age if you do momentary switch toggle hi beams in car -- posted image.).

Anyway, I am thinking about wanting to have a turn signal switch that has a momentary push button in it that I would use to switch between hi and low beam. Of course, the way it is now, it is a switch that I step on, and it toggles between each beam.

I have found some components from a custom auto wiring company to do this, but I'm thinking they are quite expensive, and am wondering if I can accomplish this myself with a relay. I've been told that I should be able to do it with a SPDT Latching relay. Like this:

• Momentary switch on steering column to
  • SPDT Latching relay
  • Wires to headlights (one is hi, one is low) hooked to the relay
  • Relay common contact go to headlight switch

Sound feasible?

If so, can anyone tell me: what specific relay (or multiple relays) would I want, and what wires to what pole on the relay? I have looked at a number of the diagrams here, and it almost feels to me I need to use one of the 4 or 5 relay systems. So, as you can imagine, I'm a little confused.

So, wires that I know I have to run are:

• Low beam wire
  • High beam wire
  • Wire from momentary switch
  • Power wire from headlight switch?
  • Other Power wire?

Thanks for your input.

roger

Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

look here....   https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=57075&KW=ween&PN=0&tpn=2  

the part you need is a headlight dimmer relay for a older volkswagen.  the wiring you describe will work fine.  if the "other power wire" is connected to battery (fused of course) , the relay should allow you to have  "flash-to-pass" momentary high-beam operation. 

hope this helps

mark

ewingr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks. That looks exactly like what I need. I'll check that out.

Based on your comment that the wiring I describe will work fine, you are saying to use the VW Relay, right? I do notice that they say it is a loud relay. I wonder if it is waterproof (can be put in the firewall area) as opposed to inside the car. Also, the guy that was getting these answers indicated he needed to add a relay as his application needed 12v. I'm not sure what would be different from his app and mine. But this looks like a good start that I can play with.

I'm intrigued by your comment about the other power wire to fused battery allowing me to have "fash-to-pass". Would that be accomplished with that same VW relay? But I presume with a different button for the flash.

Thanks
Roger
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

me again,

the relay isn't waterproof, but that isn't to say you can't enclose it in a small plastic box. it's about 1.25" on each side, 1.75" tall...without wiring attached.  it would only be operating momentarily, slight click, might not be too objectionable.  terminal designations at relay as follows:

30.....battery, 56.....feed from headlight switch, 56a....high beam output, 56b....low beam output, S....switch contact (momentary to ground).  the flash-to-pass function is built into the relay, uses the same switch to activate.

additional part number  R 200.958 company name SWF  .....N.O.S. i presume as i have a few of them

m

ewingr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

Mark

Thank you so much for your replies.

I am left with one more question. My expectations were that I would purchase a lever to replace my turn signal arm, which has a momentary button in it. That would hook to S. So pressing the momentary button on the turn signal lever would change between hi and low beam.

Where I am confused is how I would hook to the S to also do the flas-to-pass function. If I have a momentary switch hooked to the S to change between hi and low, I don't understand how the switch woudl interpret between a momentary to switch between hi and low, vs flash-to-pass.

Would you mind just a little elaboration on how I need to hook that up.

Thanks Again!

(I'm going to start my search for the relay)

Thanks
Roger
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

my interpretation of the schematic on the side of the relay shows the following:

terminal 30 connects to the coil of the relay and a contact of a spst section,

terminal S connect to the coil of the relay,

terminal 56 to the common contact of the spdt section,

terminal 56b to the normally closed contact of the spdt section,

terminal 56a to the normally open contact of the spdt section AND the other contact of the spst section.

it is these connections of the terminal 56a that allows the flash-to pass function

terminal 30 supplies battery voltage, terminal 56a outputs voltage when terminal S recieves a ground....with the headlights off of course.

hope this helps

m

ewingr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  

Oh, duhhhh....it seems so simple.

So with headlight on, you have to toggle them on/off for 'flasth'. When the headlights are off, hitting that button will flash them.

Thanks so much for your help.

Roger

ewingr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

I've ordered the VW switch. I used the NAPA part number in the link you posted above.

Looking at a turn signal arm, I find the following in the description:

"These low amperage switches require a relay for most applications. "

I presume that the switch/relay I'm ordering qualifies for that statement, and I don't need to take the button to a relay, then to the switch. Would you agree?

Thanks
Roger
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

you would be correct

m

ewingr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2007 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

I have tried to get my high beam working from a momentary switch on my steering column.

One gentleman suggested purchasing a relay that was for a Volkswagen, and wiring this way:

30.....battery, 56.....feed from headlight switch, 56a....high beam output, 56b....low beam output, S....switch contact (momentary to ground).  the flash-to-pass function is built into the relay, uses the same switch to activate.

So, when I have it wired that way, I get no high or low beams. I do get a flash of my lights ( I Presume High Beams) when I press the momentary switch, whether the headlights are turned on or not.

If I change the high beam plug with the low beam plug, that is, I put the low beam on 56a, and hi beam on 56b, then what I get is no lights when I turn the headlights on. I get no flash when the headlights are off. When the headlights are on I get no lights, except when I press the momentary switch, I get lights on (I am presuming high beams, but not sure) ...no flash.

I thought that possibly the light switch belonged on S, and the momentary on 56. I get nothing with it wired that way.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks
Roger
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic