the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Connecting Two Battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sebastian018 
Silver - Posts: 364
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, I need some help connecting two battery, What do I have to do to connect to batterys.

thank you

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2003 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

Short and simple answer is... buy an isolator and a sealed battery.  Two of the most popular types of sealed batteries are Gel Cell and Coil.  Optima makes good sealed batteries.  The reason for a sealed battery vs. a regular battery is that most people install the second battery inside the vehicle.  Non-sealed batteries can emit hazardous fumes if they develope a leak or tip over (not to mention the battery acid that can get into your vehicle).

The isolator is installed between the alternator and the 2 batteries.  It acts as a brain, and determines which battery needs the charge, and routes the power accordingly.  Isolators come with installation instructions for the wiring to the batteries, but you will need to know which wire to disconnect from the alternator to the stock battery and then reroute it to the isolator.

Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 6:14 AM / IP Logged  

if you want to go the simple route and dont want an isolator, just put in the other battery and connect its positive terminal to the origional batteries positive termainal and connect the new batteries negitive terminal to the frame of your vehicle and then you will have the combined power of both batteries and you alternator will charge both batteries equally.

keep in mind that if you play your system for a while with your car off then both batteries will be drained at the same rate and it is still possible to drain them both and not be able to start your car, but this will take atleast twice as long as it would with only one battery

Powerslave0 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
I was told never to wire them in parallel, unless they are the EXACT same make and model, and installed at the same time. Even then, you still shoudn'd do it. If one battery is weaker, or older older than the second one you put in, it will drain current from it. They equal out eventually, but still, it isn't a good idea. The Isolator, and sealed battery is the best way.
You do not even nee a LARGE Gell battery. I have THREE of them, two are medium, and one is a compact car sized battery. I use those in my boat, and they are designed to last 100hours or better. I ran one of them without a recharge for the electric motor all summer, and the other for the lighting without a recharge. The larger one I used to start the outboard, and the charging circuit on that does not work. SO, I charged that once every two weeks.
The ones I have are for powered wheel-chairs and other Handicapped devices. They were specifically designed to last a while.
Sebastian018 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
ok, thank you
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
I have not personally installed many batteries, however I have seen multiple vechicles, with extra batteries installed. I have almost never seen the same make and model batteries in a vechicle. Most are different brand and all. I have never seen any leaks and/or explosions. With that in mind, I dont know how much difference it makes as far as make and model, but just wanted to let anyone know that ive personally never experienced any problems with it.
Forgot to mention, I dont think any of them had isolators installed either.
wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

Just something that no one mentioned...When batteries are wired in parallel, it increases the current capabilites. (Eg - You have three 12V batteries, each one at 600A......The voltage stays the same which is 12V but the current changes to 1800A) Also note that you can't wire a 12V and a 6V battery in parallel.....there will be FIRE.

If you wire those same batteries in series then you're current will remain the same and your voltage will go up. Final Results being 36V and 600A.

I know it wasn't really part of the question but it may help someone who reads it someday.

Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
AshenRane 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
Hey i need help with running a 12 volt and ground wire through a 1995 Nissan 240Sx. Please help me
Drewbie
AshenRane 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
Okay i have been informed that it is a 1993 three 240sx and like i said i need help on how to run a 12 volt wire to the battery and a ground wire to whatever it runs to. PLEASE HELP!!!
Drewbie
Sebastian018 
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
What do you mean by that, What are you connecting, amp, head unit??
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic