hid flicker

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mattstoy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

Just installed an HID kit on my 2006 Dodge Ram SRT10. Ran the seperate relays with dedicated power lines to each ballast and have the harness hooked up to the relay. Everything is working great but every once and a while I get one light that shuts off and then on quickly. It is entirely random, happens when the car is standing still or driving. Almost looks like I went to flash a person. Anyways, does anyone know how I can get rid of this? Thanks in advance for the help.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

Where did you ground the ballast's ? Any chance of this being "loose"

Are ALL of your connections solid? What are you using to turn the lights on? (what source)

mattstoy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

I was originally thinking grounds, but I have some really clean and good grounds. I would also suspect they would induce a more vibration based flicker, whereas the one I have now is totally random. I have run a clean relay setup with the relay beinging open and closed by the headlight harness. Any ideas? Do you think it is a lack of resistance going to the headlight harness?

gotpiranha 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
HI Im also having the same problem in my saab 9000.I hope someone here could help us.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thats gonna be a tough one. Maybe talk to this guy...he's done some dodge HID's  djfearny2

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=87925&PN=1

peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  

Dodge's are all about resistance in the the various wires.. I know that all too well w/ the MUX wire when installing remote starters in Dodge/Chrysler products.

I would meter the powering line (the line that powers the 85 or 86 of the relay) to see if there is a measurable random drop in that wire.  If the random nature of the loss of light is too far in between, this may be a PITA.  Try listening for the click of your new relay to the headlamp ballasts -- if you do in fact hear this click, you know that it's either your ground or + positive trigger (i.e. headlight lamp switch) right?

Just some thoughts.  I wonder if the ballasts are particularly sensitive to drops in the voltage -- not necessarily a complete cut-out of power, but a drop in voltage to the point that the entire ballast would drop power completely to the whole system if it did not detect enough power.  If this is the case, perhaps the problem is not your connections or resistance in a dodge headlight power wire, but in fact a problem with some other system drawing some juice from the entire automobile power system and then the ballast loses power.  You may then, want to investigate with the manufacturer of the ballast what the tolerances are to maintaining a functional ballast -- how much voltage tolerance can it take before it shuts down?

The search function is your friend.
KarTuneMan 
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
peterubers: Yes, the ballasts are sensative to voltage fluctuations. Thats the issue with doing HIDs in a vehicle that has daytime running lights. Alot of folks think that its OK to replace the bulb with the HID and turn it on with the factory harness. Use the battery for 12v, and relays.
stixx1972 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2007 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  

hello i have the same problem with my 01 ford expedition it seems to flicker alot specially when im getting out of my vehicle since i have a alarm installed when i turn off my car my light stay on for a few seconds i have had installed relays but they dont seem to have been working well.does anyone have any ideas on how to clear the flickering! i sure would appreciate it

joker2 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2007 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
Anytime HIDs are installed in a vehicle the DRL fuse needs to be pulled and is the first thing that should be done. I have done a few HID installs and I have a diagram I took quite a bit of time to create and should work for most cars so if any of you guys are still having problems let me know.
Tripnbeats 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2007 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
I put capacitors in the connectors where the lines plug into the ballast.....is stops the flickering on american cars....on german cars u need resistors or to program the computer to accept HIDs
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic