icon

98 jeep grand cherokee power door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dksob81 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cheroke 5.9 limited it came with factory keyless entry. Well I got a remote starter/alarm/keyless entry system from ebay (thor 2-way lcd), the system didn't come with very good instructions and no vehicle specific wiring, but I have installed a few of these (different brand tho) and knew the basics, now the remote starter is installed and working fine. I need help with the keyless entry part.

The system comes with 6 wires for the door locks.

lock and unlock Common (output)

lock and unlock Normally Closed

Locka nd unlock Normally Open (input)

I have got the wires hooked up (NO - 12v constant, Common - Motor side of lock/unlock wire at door switch, and NC - at switch side of lock/unlock wire at the door switch). When using the remote it will lock and unlock the drivers door but does nothing for the other doors.

rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
Lock for Pass side door and all others is BLACK/ white and pink/black for unlock.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
Save yourself the headaches and pick up a DEI 455T. This interface ties into the data lines in the Jeep and will lock/unlock/arm/disarm. If you do not want to pick up one of these, you would have to go into both the driver's and passenger's doors to interface with the doorlocks. Here is what DEI lists for door lock interfacing on that Jeep:
Power Lock      org/pur - blk/wht       5wi     
Notes: Use ORANGE / purple for lock and pink/black for unlock at the drivers door switch to operate the drivers door lock. Use BLACK/ white for lock and pink/black for unlock at the passenger front door switch to unlock all passenger doors. It is required to interface in each door even if the vehicle is equiped with keyless entry.
Can also use DEI part number 455t door lock interface control module. This will control door lock, unlock, arm, disarm, dome light supervision and more.
Power Unlock      pnk/blk - pnk/blk       5wi     
Notes: Use ORANGE / purple for lock and pink/black for unlock at the drivers door switch to operate the drivers door lock. Use BLACK/ white for lock and pink/black for unlock at the passenger front door switch to unlock all passenger doors. It is required to interface in each door even if the vehicle is equiped with keyless entry.
Can also use DEI part number 455t door lock interface control module. This will control door lock, unlock, arm, disarm, dome light supervision and more.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
vitrox 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

i suggest using the module also, but if you must manually wire these locks...  you must go into the drivers door and do the reverse polarity setup, that will control the drivers door.  Then you must do the same thing in the passenger door to control the other 3 doors.

have fun. :)

dksob81 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2007 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
I ordered the DEI 455T from ebay, still waiting for it to come, will keep you updated.
dksob81 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2007 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

I got the DEI 455T in 2day, Looked at the wiring and was pretty straight forward

2-PIN HARNESS  

WHITE/ BLACK to WHITE/ BLACK @ the datalink connector

VIOLET/BROWN to VIOLET/BROWN @ the datalink connector

7-PIN HARNESS

RED to +12v constant

BLACK to Ground

BLUE/BLACK  (-) Input from remote starter.

BLUE (-) Disarm/All door unlock input

BLUE/WHITE (-) Disarm/Driver's unlock input

GREEN (-) Arm/Lock input

BLACK/ WHITE (-) 2 second pulsed output

Ok well I hooked everything up where it should go except for the BLACK/ WHITE wire shouldn't be necessary. Syas something about only hook up if using a DEI security system with a remote starter.

Well when I hooked everything up and locked or unlocked the door the locking system went haywire and started locking and unlocking the doors repeatedly. What do you think could be the problem, I know my remote start system is a lil different then most because of the built in relays (6 wire keyless entry), any sugestions on how the system should be wired?

imseth85 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2007 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
it's the best decision you ever made. wait till you see how sick it works!!!
Seth Alvo     NY
Mobile Electronics Installer
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
The BLACK/ white is probably not needed for your setup.
Your system has internal door lock relays, so you would connect the commons to ground, the normally opens would go to the lock and unlock inputs of the 455 and the normally closed would get no connection. If your locks are 'going haywire' I would ensure that the system ground is good, to a clean paint and primer free piece of metal in the kick panel. I have never had a bad 455 so I would have to lean towards something in the installation as being the culprit.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
dksob81 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  
ok, I will try this and let you know how it works out.
dksob81 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

I hooked it up just as you said and everything works great. you really know your stuff,

Thank You very much

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic