icon

slotted or round port

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wotugot4me 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
What are the advantages/disadvantages of slotted or round ports?  Ive heard that round are more efficient, is that true?
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Actually an advantage of a slot port is that you can "maze" it if the enclosure is physically too small to accomadate a round port.  Other then that if done properly there should be no difference in sound or performance whatsoever.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
I have found that port noise is more prevelant with round ports verses slotted ports.
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

I have found the same as xtremej, that port noise seems to be more common in round ports

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
There will be no difference whatsoever, IF the port area is the same. Yes, a slot can be bent easier, but if you go too long, you'll end up closer to a TL than a vented enclosure.
xtremej wrote:
I have found that port noise is more prevelant with round ports verses slotted ports.
kicker guy wrote:

I have found the same as xtremej, that port noise seems to be more common in round ports

Then the port area is/was not the same, or in the case of round ports that you have heard making excessive noise, the port was too small for the enclosure. It's as simple as that. If the port area is the same it won't matter WHAT the geometry, because the air speed in the port will be the same. Same speed, same turbulence, same noise level. Physically, it has to be. Also, I always try to aim for port air speeds less than .1 mach. Anything over that, and the port will be made larger and longer to prevent the noise that will occur. This was a tip given to me by a Harman engineer, it's the number they use in their designs.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Don't you just love physics?
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed...port noise levels seem to occur in direct proportion to the lack of knowledge of the box builder...lol

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic