the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

99 grand prix cda 9811, bad am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

...or more accurate, no AM. Installed the CDA-9811 with the GM antenna adapter. The FM works okay, but I can't even get bad static for the AM...there's nothing (there is some background static...but no noise typically heard when the stations aren't coming in good). This unit was in another vehicle and the AM worked fine (AM worked fine with stock unit as well on the Grand Prix). It is just odd that I can't get anything. Has anyone seen problems of this nature or am I probably looking at a bad AM unit?

Thanks.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
if you get no a/m that usually means that the antenna is not connected.   check the antenna adapter, that is usually the culprit on GMs. make sure its pushed in all the way and then tape the connections with electrical tape.   i've seen bad antenna adapters right out of the packaging, so if its plugged in tight, but still doesnt work, you might want to try another adapter.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

What you failed to mention is the type of antenna on the vehicle. Apparently you have issues there. Either the cable is bad..or the ground to the antenna is corroded or non existant. It can't hurt to try another GM antenna adaptor as well..wouldn't be the first time one of those were bad out of the package. (yes, they are very cheaply made)

If it is a windshield antenna you might want to replace it with a mast type..it can be a pain to fix those and could even require replacing the glass if need be. If the car has a power antenna or a mast you will need to check the mounting point where it grounds..or any ground straps. The ground of the antenna is all to do with AM performance..FM will work without a ground..all FM really needs is a piece of wire technically to work. Am is a different story.

Good Luck

duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

he did mention that the A/M is fine with the factory radio installed  99 grand prix cda 9811, bad am -- posted image.

good suggestions though

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Ah yes..I see that now, thanks. So must be a bad adaptor as all logic would dictate.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, if the stock radio was working fine, the issue is not antenna related. While the culprit may indeed be a shoddy antenna adaptor (never seen that before....) it may also be a issue with the am tuner module in the cd player itself. Easy street says to use a new antenna adaptor or try a different cd player.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Flakman 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

I have the antenna built into the windshield. I can live without the AM...though I like to get my news during the morning commute. I've got a spare antenna. I'll conntect it for testing when I pop the dash off to run my signal and speaker wires to the trunk. I'll end up replacing the head unit eventually so that I can get something compatible with the stock steering wheel controls if the new antenna doesn't work.

It seems to always happen that the aftermarket deck never quite gets as good reception as the factory unit. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks a bunch, guys!

The Flakman
John | Manteca, CA
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

True..I also find most occasions that the factory deck will have superior AM as oppsed to an aftermarket,however, AM should still work to an acceptable level.

The test antenna is a good idea but this is important.....when using a test antenna to check AM you MUST make sure the BASE of the test antenna is solidly grounded..otherwise the AM will not work at all and can mislead you to blame the deck instead. Of course if the AM works with the test antenna you have simply verified that the problem lies elswhere.

Best of luck, there is no reason not to get the AM back if you desire it.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

Oh BTW..there is no aftermarket deck made that is compatable with the steering wheel controls other then a factory deck. However PAC makes a great piece called the SWI-X which will work with many aftermarket decks that utilize a wireless remote control. IF the deck can utilize a wired remote control PAC makes a piece for that as well which is easier since the SWI-X requires programming but I do them alot and the install usually takes about 10 minutes with programming once you get the hang.

If you are unsure check the PAC adaptor website and it lists compatable head units.

Flakman 
Posted: February 27, 2007 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
master5 wrote:

Oh BTW..there is no aftermarket deck made that is compatable with the steering wheel controls other then a factory deck. However PAC makes a great piece called the SWI-X which will work with many aftermarket decks that utilize a wireless remote control. IF the deck can utilize a wired remote control PAC makes a piece for that as well which is easier since the SWI-X requires programming but I do them alot and the install usually takes about 10 minutes with programming once you get the hang.

If you are unsure check the PAC adaptor website and it lists compatable head units.

It was the PAC stuff that I was looking at to interface with the steering wheel controls to the newer HUs that support it.

Thanks for the tip on the AM antenna...I'll remember that for sure 99 grand prix cda 9811, bad am -- posted image.

The Flakman
John | Manteca, CA
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic