icon

downfire subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jordan1575 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 crossfire p112d, i was reading some posts and noticed that it is said that with some subs, you shouldn't put them in a down fire box. Does anyone know if these subs will be ok in a downfire box. I have a 96 ford ranger extended cab and wanting to do some more custom work with my system. Thanks for any advice.
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
You can place your subs in any firing direction you want, as long as it sounds best in it. In my case the sub produces more spl down firing against a floor.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

This sub shows to be 5% saggy, a borderline call.  It just happens that 5% is the least acceptable sag factor, where anything including and less than that is okay.  But, in all, 5% is still fine for downfiring.  The Xmax plays a large role in determing this factor, as well as motor strength.  The subs whose play is longer in the excursion limits usually fare better in this test.

For example:  if you should play with some numbers in this calculator, you would find that if the Fs were 20 Hz rather than 21.7 Hz, the sub would be 6% saggy and not suitable for downfiring.  (It looks like you can change Vas to just about anything you want to!!!)  But if you're into the math, here is the white paper on the subject.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jordan1575 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
i am open to suggestion, i have been playing with ideas and can't come up with anything that sounds perfect, sealed or vented, and box shape and design, sub firing direction. what type box do the p112d do best in. i am really looking for tight, punchy bass, but still would like to have the big boom sound if i want it for different music types, this isn't for show, i just want it to stand out and look good
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
You can't get something that "sounds" like anything if all you're playing with is IDEAS.  What have you tried, if anything yet?  The specs say to use sealed.  Use the "optimum sealed volume" size listed for this sub on Crossfire's website.  Although you are, in effect, saying that you "want the best of both worlds" (as is so commonly heard), a sub of any brand and model will produce a specific type of sound in its ideal situation.  No sub will do everything.  Get the best you can out of this one.  Experiment with the firing direction, and I would suggest firing face-out toward the rear of the vehicle as a start.  If you design the box so that it can be turned and flipped and relocated, you can experiment.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jordan1575 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
they are in a rectangle box now firing up, i like the suggestion of firing to the rear, that sounds similar to the effect of downfire since they would be close to the wall. i am going to building a new box soon and looking for suggestions about design really, i am strongly considering a wedge design simply because the seats could still lay back instead of being limited. how far should the subs be from the wall in a rear fire box. I am trying to keep functional while still having a decent system. thanks
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
firing to the rear will probably result in lower bass notes.
for a best of both worlds application ive enjoyed slightly overpowering a sub in a sealed box

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic