icon

Bulldog Security Going Out Of Business

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kb8ude 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
I have it on good authority that Bulldog Security is going out of business. The place is owned by JBS Technologies and covers stuff under the brands of Shelby, Alert, Bulldog, JBS VIP, and CellSTART.
From what I have been told, it's getting bad to work for them. They have been firing people left and right, been geting tons of BBB letters, USPS, UPS, and FedEx won't pick up any more, and they must have fired the last person certified to run a forklift since they are trying to get a guy with one eye to get certified.
If you have tech support problems, you are better figuring it out yourself. There are maybe only 2 techs left, and they pretty much just hang up on the stupid people in order to help the smart ones out.
Check your packages if you buy their stuff. They have been sending different units in packages marked otherwise just to get the shipments out. In some cases a unit that it supposed to have built in relays actually does not, despite the box and manual instructions. People don't realize it and hook up the parking light output to a transistor driven wire blowing it out. Good luck sending that back...hope you still have your receipt and can return it to the store instead.
Just wanted to post this as a heads up to those who used to like their products. Buy what you can now while it's still out there or start finding replacement options. The name might get sold off and just be cheap Chinese junk in the future. I heard that they spoke to a liquidation company, and even they don't want anything to do with them given all the recent screwups in manufacturing requiring rework.
Keep the peace(s)
monkies 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Well here is the proof
Bulldog Security Going Out Of Business -- posted image.
BTW I hear company is for sale
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2007 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Wow thats pretty crazy. This coming from two people with 1 post each. Not saying I don't believe you but are you guys just trying to vent. I mean this is probably the best thing to happen to the 12v industry since the car battery was made.
monkies 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2007 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Well I felt I should warn people, then I saw there was already a thread. Don't expect to get your unit back (repaired) from warranty service, all returns are being refused. Anything that was there before Monday 2/26 was sent new product. Whether you get it or not depends on if they pay the post office. I would also advise you to stay away from the Bulldog 801 alarm most of those were shipped with defective siren speakers. Well even if they have good speakers they were still crap at best.
kb8ude 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
I may only have one post, but if you look you will notice I joined this forum 2 years ago. I've just never felt compelled to post until now :)
I was never employed by JBS, I just know people who were and also many people who have used products from them.
I'd look for a bigger company like DEI to buy the IP rights and produce some of the better ideas JBS had. Hopefully with better quality as well.
monkies 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
from http://hsconnect.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=11628
JBS Technologies closes without any warning
By PAUL GIANNAMORE, business editor
STEUBENVILLE — The first occupant of a building in the Jefferson County Industrial Park has pulled up stakes, apparently without warning to local officials or customers.
The plant at JBS Technologies, a manufacturer of automobile remote starting and alarm systems, was closed as of Friday.
Questions to personnel who were in the factory lobby Wednesday were referred to McTevia & Associates, a corporate financial consulting and management firm with offices in Michigan and Florida.
Jim McTevia, managing partner in the consulting firm, said in response to questions that JBS’s owners had chosen to liquidate their company.
“We are trustees for the benefit of the creditors. The company is not in bankruptcy. Their assets were transferred to the trustee for the benefit of creditors,” McTevia said. “The company is being liquidated.”
That means customers such as Tom Greene of Bedford, N.H., were going to be out of luck.
Greene said he received a remote starter unit a year ago and talked to someone at JBS in January about returning the item under warranty for replacement. He was given a repair order number and has not heard from the company since. He said he received no return e-mails and suspected the company might have gone out of business.
McTevia said customers will have no recourse.
“The company is gone. The customers go with it. The assets of the company were transferred to the trustee and the company no longer is in control of their assets. The company did this instead of filing a Chapter 7 (federal bankruptcy liquidation). It chose to transfer the assets to its creditors,” McTevia said.
One of the assets, however, is not the JBS building, which was the first to be occupied in the industrial park that has grown around it and now houses two other businesses with a third under construction.
The Jefferson County One Stop employment center is preparing to mount an effort to assist the displaced JBS workers.
Mike McGlumphey, One Stop director, said Thursday he is in the process of obtaining a list of employees from McTevia & Associates. Once that list is received, his agency will send out a mass mailing with information about services available through the One-Stop, including assistance in developing resumes, filing for unemployment and seeking a new job.
Local businessman Derek Ferguson became involved with trying to preserve jobs at JBS in January 2006, when a deal was announced that saw Ferguson purchase the building with a five-year lease agreement to JBS. Statements at the time said 66 jobs were preserved with the deal.
McTevia said there were about 20 employees working when the plant closed, and all had been “paid for everything they had coming.”
Asked who could answer questions for customers or employees, McTevia said, “There are no questions to be answered, it’s out of business. It’s gone, Its assets are being liquidated,” he said.
Asked if the company could have run afoul of the federal WARN statute that requires firms to give prior notice before closing a plant with 60 or more employees, McTevia said, “The company has no money to satisfy those types of things.”
JBS sold its 37,500-square-foot facility as part of a stock buyout in 2005, renting the facility from Don Snyder, who owned the building as a result of the business transaction. That lease would have expired last July and officials said JBS appeared ready to move the company to Western Pennsylvania, according to local development officials. No JBS officials had commented after the Ferguson purchase was announced.
Snyder went on to build and open the Wildfire Motors building at the industrial park.
Paul Giannamore
GONE – JBS Technologies was the first occupant of the Jefferson County Industrial Park off county Road 43 in the 1990s. The company, which made after-market remote car starters and alarms among its products, has gone into a private liquidation. The factory closed a week ago.
monkies 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2007 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
monkies 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Aftermarket news has picked up the story
from
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/default.aspx?type=art&id=81495
In Tuesday, March 13, 2007 Issue, Category:Parts and Accessory News
JBS Technologies Closes its Doors
Posted: March 13, 2007, 9 a.m., EST
by Amy Antenora
Editor
STEUBENVILLE, OH -- Another small aftermarket firm unexpectedly closed its doors this month.
JBS Technologies shut down operations on March 2. Employees were only given a few days notice, according to a former employee who contacted aftermarketNews.
The Steubenville, OH-based company, which produced car care products, security alarms and remote car starters, had been in business for about 10 years. The executive we spoke with, who wished to remain unnamed, said the company’s owners decided not to continue investing in the business. He also said the company was no longer honoring warranties, which was confirmed by Jim McTevia in a report in the Steubenville paper the Herald Star. McTevia’s management and consulting firm, McTevia & Associates, has been named the trustee of JBS Technologies’ assets.
The privately held company has not filed bankruptcy but instead decided to liquidate inventory through a trustee account. The company’s assets were turned over to a trust account to be managed by McTevia & Associates, for the benefit of JBS’ creditors, according to a report in the Herald Star.
JBS sold products under the Carroll Shelby, Bulldog Security, Cellstart and Alert brand names. The company, which ranked 68 on the AASA Top Aftermarket Suppliers list for 2006, had annual sales of about $16 million.
Last week, Brett Barta, former VP of sales for JBS, told aftermarketNews he plans on retaining the Alert and Shelby names and would like to continue selling these brands. Calls to Barta for more details were not returned as of press time.
bmccue 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

I unfortunately have done business with Bulldob/JBS.  I've been trying to install a 200B remote starter in my elderly parent's car, but have had nothing but problems.  Finally narrowed the problem dow to a defective transponder module( after 7 calls to Bulldog and 1/2 of them stemmed from a misprint in the installation manual). 

I finally convinced tech to let me return the part.  I sent in the defective one and was supposed to be sent a 791 transponder.  I received a 781 transponder instead, but with 1/2 of the internal parts missing (not soldered to) the circuit board.  It looks like someone grabbed one that was being worked on and shipped it back to me.  I sent several letters and emails to the company, but received no reply.   I finally stumbled upon the story about JBS closing down.

I wonder what business the CEO/owner? (Gary Ruffing?) will start next to rip customers off (take the money and run)...

Screwed Over In NH

youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2007 at 3:18 AM / IP Logged  
I've installed a few Bulldog alarms. I'd rather have genital warts than own anything with the Bulldog name on it. Just wasn't impressed. Unfortunate for the employees... I hate seeing working stiffs that just want to do the best they can get letters without any warning stating what the prior posted.
Before you know it, everyone will be working for WalMart.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic