icon

wiring a capicitor in a dual amp system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiteram423 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
I have a couple of questions for you guys that can help me. i have a 03 dodge ram quad cab truck.
1. I just bought a system and wired it up. i have a 0 gauge dual amp wiring kit. a 5 farad power acostik capacitor. two audiobahn 800x1 mono amps. and 2 10" flame Q subs. I wired the system up with the wire going from the battery to a distributer box under the seats from there one power wire goes to the cap. the other goes to a splitter that came with the kit and the 2 amps are wired to it. Is this the correct way to wire it up?
2. I have a red top optima battery in the truck right now. should i put the stock battery in the truck and wire up the optima battery for a second battery? and if so will it hurt my stock alternator?
3. I also have a remote start alarm that i had put in but it will not stay on. the truck cranks and idles for about 10 secs then dies. anyone know why that is.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
The best way to wire it up is to wire the amps directly to the distribution block.
Then sell the piece of crap capacitor that you wasted your money on(sorry but caps suck and don't help with voltage problems)...then use that money and upgrade your big three.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
The alarm, you'll need to give some more info:
make, model.
As far as the list of gear you listed: amps, speakers, wiring kit. keep the wire.
The cap, aznboi said it best.
Unless you are running the system with the vehicle off for long periods of time, use one battery. Replace the stock battery with the Optima, upgrade the big three and read the topics on Audioblahhh.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

Agree with the above, but just for the sake of answering your question about where the cap should go if you intend to use it:  it should be as close as possible to the sub amp(s).  It can be wired as you described, although it seems like it might be farther away from the amps than is optimum.  The distro block is a "splitter" itself, so you have, in effect, two splitters.  One of them can be eliminated. 

Ideal (with what you have) is to run main power wire to a fused distro block that is located near both sub amps.  The cap is placed directly before the distro on the main wire, and the distro's two outgoing fused smaller wires lead a short distance to each amplifier.

Power connection devices like distros should be mounted in open, easily accessible areas rather than hidden under the seat.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
whiteram423 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
thank you stevdart i just did not know if i could put the cap infront of the distro block or not. That answered that question that i had. all my amps and my cap are about a foot from each other. the amps are under the driver and passenger side and the cap is under the middle of the seat. so i will rewire everything.
The alarm im not sure what brand i will find out but something keeps cutting it off and here is the thing it was working before the system was put in and the alarm was unhooked and now i cant figure out why it wont stay started.
krautaholic 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

you need to relearn the tach signal on the alarm. if its a DEI alarm (viper, clifford, python, hornet, etc etc etc) the steps for relearning the tach are as follows:

start the car

within 5 seconds push and hold the valet button

when your LED goes to a constant light, the tach is learned (usually only takes 3-8 seconds for it to learn the tach)'

release the valet button

and thats it....if you don't have a DEI alarm, then it could be an entirely different combonations of things....

good luck.

Fruity Pebbles.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic