icon

using alarm aux as a fuel pump kill?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redshift 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2007 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Was just brainstorming and wondering if anyone had done this before...
Would it be possible to use one of the alarm AUX outputs as a fuel pump kill switch? (this would be in addition to the starter kill) I do not know if there are any alarms that have an AUX output that isn't just a momentary circuit closure, but that could probably be used to engage and disengage a relay, couldn't it?
... just wondering if it could be done... seems like a unique idea.
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
If you dont want something momentary, do this:
Momentary to Constant Output
Once activated by the relay on the left, the relay's coil on the right will stay energized until either ground or 12v(+) is removed. You can do this with another relay. Or try connecting to a 12v(+) switched source instead of a constant one. Or you can have a door trigger activate a relay to break continuity. The variations are practically endless.
using alarm aux as a fuel pump kill? -- posted image.
dont really understand what you are trying to accomplish
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
megatfauzi76 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
So if someone steal the car...can we pres the AUX button to hijack the car....So the the engine shutdown?
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
So what would happen if the circuit were to fail while you were driving the car? I would not recommend doing this.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
redshift 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
If the circuit were to fail while you were driving, then the fuel pump would cut out and the engine would die. Not the end of the world or anything that hasn't happened before. I could understand if I were an installer doing this for someone else
People put toggle kill switches in their cars all the time, and if the wiring is solid, I don't see why this can't work just as well as one of those. I have never had a relay fail in the 11 years I've been using them. I just thought it would be a nice idea since my alarm has something like 5 AUX outputs that I'll never use (no power windows, don't have a trunk, etc.)
As for the question of whether you could use this to remotely kill the car if it were stolen, I had never thought of that, but I suppose it would work.
I will look more into that momentary to constant switch.. I had thought something like that was possible, but didn't remember how to accomplish it.
thanks!
redshift 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
OK, totally forgot to finish my thought.. damn phone calls. :)
Anyway, what I was saying in the first paragraph is I could understand not wanting to do it if you were installing the item for someone else and weren't sure if they would know what to do if their fuel pump were to cut out while driving, but I am the owner and only driver of this car, so I know the risks and am not worried about causing a problem.
megatfauzi76 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ist correct...To shutdown the engine while running...Immbolizer normally cut the fuel pump wire rite? If correct...we can do our own antihijack...use AUX channel to cut the fuel pump wire as a immobolizer...Anyone agree with me?
redshift 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
I thought about it a little more, and if you had something like this installed and someone stole the car, then they had to bypass your fuel pump kill relay anyway, so activating it would have no effect.
Unless you just forgot to engage the kill switch and they stole the car. Then it would work.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

First off this would not work as a anti car jack for a couple reasons..mainly that remotes will not work when the brains recieve ignition. I suppose it can be bypassed or manipulated but you would need a spare remote at all times since the jacker would have the one on the key chain already..and range would come into play..as well as maybe getting beaten or shot/killed..not worth a car..thats what insurance is for.

If jacking is really a major concern spend the extra money for a GPS tracker unit and simply tie one of the outputs to open the fuel or ignition circuit when you enter a code thru any phone or internet..but yes it will be a bit pricey and there could be legal issues as well if when the car is stalled and it causes an accident..but don't blame me..laywers..you know, I am an installer.

As far as using the AUX output most DEI products will let you program outputs for several uses..momentary, timed, latched, validity so a relay will do it. If it is a basic unit and only has pulsed you can use a latching relay setup, very simply as well but as stated I don't really see the point.

Good Luck

redshift 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
My focus wasn't to prevent carjacking, in fact I never even thought of that. I suppose if that is going to happen then you're kind of screwed anyway. I mean, how far do you want to go to protect a car that is worth $2000?
Seems like every time car thief gets into a Honda, he is thinking "gotta find that kill switch." This is just an effort to a) make it really difficult to find, and b) satisfy my inner engineer/nerd by doing it in an extremely over-complicated way just to do it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic