icon

car audio schools?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
schmuckboy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

I am looking to get into mobile installation as a career and I want to go to a school to touch up on everything this way I am prepared to get a job when I get done with the school. What schools are out there that would teach everything i would need to know to be an installer, I want to be able to deal with anything I might run into in the workforce. Out of the schools out there, it does not matter about location, which one gives you the most well rounded education/experience, which one will give me a step up?

krautaholic 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

I've been professionally installing for quite a few years now and never went to school for it.  I started at an entry level type shop (IE bestbuy/circuit city type deal), mainly because higher end shop won't higher someone without experience(for the most part).  After cutting my teeth and learning the basics (i was lucky to have two guys i worked with at the entry level shop be very knowledgable installers that had been around for years and years and taught me quite a bit).  After about a year and a half to two years of that, I started moving into better higher end shops. 

I mention how I got into the business cause it seems like its the best way to do it.  Most of my peers got into the business the same way, and also recomend it.  I have worked with a couple guys who went to school, and I will tell you, while they were somewhat well educated in electrical circuits, they REALLY lacked in in-car knowledge.  Taking apart cars to do install was a REAL struggle with them, along with understanding where to find wire locations for alarms and such.  As such they weren't as efficient and ended up being somewhat burdensome at times.  I don't know what schools any of them went to, but from what I heard, "in-car" schooling wasn't something included in the courses.  Understandable so, since there are sooooo many cars out there, it'd be impossible to really get them into the classroom to teach on them.

So I look at it this way, they spent quite a bit on their schooling, and came out into the industry and WERE able to get a job at a higher end shop right off the bat, but they certainly didn't make as much money as they could have, and really lacked in the really fundamental knowledge that you need in this industry.  I however started at the bottom and worked my way up, made money the entire way through my "training", without the cost of schooling, and I came out with better rounded knowledge specific to the areas which in my opinion are most important to this career.

There's no right or wrong way to do it, just thought I'd post up my experience.  I'm sure going to school has helped some people get where they are quite a bit.  I guess its just learning style.  But if you really want to go to school for it, I'd really recomend one that can get you as much "in-car" studying as possible...

good luck.

Fruity Pebbles.
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2007 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

if yo;u still wanted to go to school one i have found is http://www.mobiledynamics.com/main/enter.html

two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
pro17 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
I went to Mobile Dynamics. They are great in the technical aspect. But no school will be able to provide "in car" training. Its simply impossible for a school to teach you about every car on the road. I can tell you that if you dont know how basic electricity works, you will have a hard time installing some things into a car. Attending that school really helped me get a good job. Getting to know the vehicles will only come with real in-shop experience. If your really interested in working in this field, go ahead and attend one of the car audio schools. Just make sure you pay extra attention to all the electrical courses. You will definitely be able to get a job after school. But like krautaholic said, you will have a hard time at first learning how to take the cars apart. but dont worry, everyone starts out that way.
cliffhanger0789 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
yea i heard mobile dynamics is awesome im going this summer what a great chance to pick your career and not saying man i have to go 2 work you will be excited because you get paid to do what u love and there is nothing better than that.
m.e.m.p.h.i.s.
schmuckboy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  
any thought on MT2
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

There's also "the Snake Pit" in San Diego I think it is.  My cousin went there and he claims he learned quite a bit.  Worth checking out anyways.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic