icon

fog/drving lights 1 relay instead of 2?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
masheen 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all, I just found this site a day or so ago and it is awesome!  I've searched the forums but haven't managed to find anything addressing the circuit I'm attempting to build.

Here's some basic info and what I'm trying to accomplish:

I have a '85 Toyota 4x4 and want to install both fog and driving lights.  To make this setup legal, the fog lights must only activate when the low beam circuit is energized.  Likewise, the driving lights must only activate when the high beam circuit is energized.  The driving and fog lamps Are 55 watt KC HiLites and utilize one wire for power while the housings provide the ground.  Based on my figures, each pair of lights would draw 9.2 amps.  From what I've found on this site, this setup generally utilizes two relays.   

Here's what I've done so far in designing this circuit:

Fog lights   -   I've tapped into the headlamps' low beam power supply wire and connected it to terminal 85 of relay #1.
                      Terminal 86 connects to one side of a rocker switch; the other side of the switch goes to ground.
                      Terminal 87 connects as the power supply to the fog lights which in turn are grounded by their housings.
                      Terminal 30 is the fused (20 amp) connection to the battery.

Driving lights - Same as above except:
                       I've tapped into the headlamps' high beam power supply wire and connected it to terminal 85 of relay #2.
                       Terminal 30 is the SAME fused (20 amp) connection to the battery.

Is it possible to use only one relay and achieve the same results?  If so, would I need a 5 pin relay?  Would I need to utilize a diode(s)?  If I have no option to the circuit I've outlined above, can I use a jumper from terminal 30 of relay #2 to terminal 30 of relay #1 and then fuse it to the battery?  Finally, would a diode(s) need to be incorporated in the setup above?  Thanks for any help!!
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
This can't be done with one relay. Why not just use 2? they only cost 2 or 3 bucks each.
masheen 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

I was hoping to use one relay so as to eliminate most of the wiring and keep the engine compartment looking clean.  Thanks much for your response!

ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2007 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
It's a 2 relay deal.
Also, fog lights can be on with the low beams or just parking lamps.
The below method will do a lot of cleanup for you, Relay1 turns the power on and off based on the parking lamps being on and the switch being on. Relay2 controls where the power goes
Relay #1: SPST
30: same (12vdc from battery, fused)
85: Parking lamp (instead of low beam)
86: same (to switched ground)
87: to Relay2, pin 30
Relay #2: SPDT
30: from Relay1, pint 87
85: same (high beam)
86: ground
87: to Driving lamp positive
87a: to Fog lamp positive

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.