icon

what parts should i use for my project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fullslp 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking of using an additional alternator to power some onboard equipment on my work truck .i was told that the trucks factory alternator would not be able to handle these power demands as well as normal automotive functions.  
I will be powering four small motors powering rotating dislpay signs (12 volt DC) +
10 individual light bars requiring (220AC)
total system voltage requires approximately (500 Watts).
this alternator will be secondary and will only be used for powering these components
not for any engine or automotive electrical requirements.
what alternator (amps) should I use for this project?
should i incorporate inline batteries as well?

the engine of the truck is a 2006 mercedes 2.7 liter turbo inline 5 cyl. 
thank you for any help or advise.
fakepete 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
You could upgrade your factory alt to a 200 amp and run everything off of that. If you plan on running all that stuff with the engine off then   add the second battery. Also, do you plan on using an inverter to power the light bars?
fullslp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2007 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

Yes . What power inverter would you recomend for the light bars?

I need one that can run reliably for 10 hour intervals.

Thanks Again.

fakepete 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2007 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
What are the power requirements of the light bars? This will determine the soze of the inverter you need. Are they regular incandescent bulbs? Most of the 220V inverters I've seen run at 50Hz instead of 60Hz, which will still work fine for lights.
If you want it to run for 10 hours, the inverter will handle it but you will most likely have to have the engine running almost the whole time.
fullslp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

The light bars are floresent and will require < face="Arial" >approximately 280watts. Also the engine will be running during all accesory use. Would all this work be to much for the single engine battery, would you recomend multiple batteries?

thanks

fakepete 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
If the enginge is running the alternator supplies all of the power, so extra batteries aren't necessary. For an inverter I would recomend TrippLite, I have had good experience with their products. They have a 240 volt inverter that will put out 375w continuous, and it comes with a cigarette lighter plug on it. I would recommend removing the plug and hard wiring it with fusing if it will be used on a regular basis.
TrippLite 240 volt inverter
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Let me guess, this is in a sprinter vanwhat parts should i use for my project -- posted image. , anyway go to www.waldoch.com these guys used to have a few REALLY nice inverter/charger units that we would use for RV conversions in those beasts. They would upgrade to a 200amp alt then run 2 gel cells under he pass seat. This has the capabilities of a shore power plug in to power equipment and also charge the batteries.. you can then add a solenoid to charge the chassis battery or "jump" if need be to start the POS...   [if ya gathered I dont like sprinter vans] but the setup work AWSOME! vey high powered, in fact I ran a 120v wire feed welder of it at a show when something broke, full throttle and it didn't skip a beat....
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
fullslp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks again for all the info guys.I think i will try the inverter from the single battery and see how reliable that setup is.I suppose i can always add an additional battery if needed.

Should i run a larger wire from the inverter to the battery ? i'm guessing the cig lighter wire will be too small diameter.

fakepete 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
Full load on the inverter is 25A at 12VDC, so 10 gauge wire and 30 amp fuse is all you will need to connect to the battery.
fullslp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

I really appreciate all the help guys. I definitely know where to come for future advise.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic