the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

capacitor grounding car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  
Put a extra large breaker on the + line that is feeding back to the battery. Each time you get out, open the breaker. That should solve the problem. You can even integrate a large solenoid into the line and operate it from the AUX function of a car alarm remote control as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
I may be missing something here..why would the breaker need to be opened every time he gets out??  I thought this "problem" occurs only when the battery is disconnected. Unless I am not understanding what the problem actually is..a possibility.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
i would use a heavy duty relay...wire it up with an accessory wire so it will break the connection when the ignition is off
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

once again I ask...why??? Why does the cap need to be disconnected every time?? I say again perhaps I am not understanding what the peoblem here actually is...but this is like saying to "cut your leg off because it has an itch".....yeah that would fix the itch..but then you have no leg..wouldn't it be better to address the itch?

But besides all the analogies...I was under the impression that there wasn't a problem here...he simply didn't realize that when the battery is disconnect while the cap is still hooked up that it acted like a 2nd battery..there was no problem...just a lack of understanding what was happening.

Am I correct or totally missing something here...??? Someone????

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  

No, I had a brain fart and did not go back and edit it in time. I actually realized what I wrote but ended up with a store full of people that I had to attend to. By then it was all too late.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Ah the old store full of people..yeah been in that boat. The last few weeks have been dead so I actually want the boatload back..need to do some promotions for the spring rush however when it gets back to normal "kaos" as opposed to the slow kaos this month.

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
good to hear others get dead spots in the year also:)
trentmeyer23 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, say i dont disconnect the cap and it runs flat, when i reconnect the battery and it recharges will it have an adverse effects on the capacitor?
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah..from what I hear "through the grapevine" from my good buddies who are industry insiders that most of the northeast is slow right now..so yes..it is many of us dealing with this..for now we are doing home audio to hold us over..our fingers are crossed that spring will pick up as it always has.

I also noticed that quite a few "mom and pops" have been closing up shop...a sad state of affairs..but selfishly I can only hope this brings more business to us..I have noticed we are getting customers from alot farther away then usual. Guess it's a sign of the times.

Trentmeyer23, I personally have not seen reconnecting a battery damage a cap..however this is not to say it is impossible. Also..the spark at the battery from charging the cap fast is a safty hazard. I would reccomend to have the cap disconnected before you connect the battery terminal and make sure the cap is charged as well to prevent arcing. If disconnecting your battery is something you do very often for whatever reason..one of the above suggestions using a breaker might be good for that..but if you don't do this very often..it is not worth the time and money IMO.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic