icon

check my enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
integradude18 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hey I understand a little about building a sealed subwoofer enclosure. I just need a little help.

Here is my future enclosure's dimensions

check my enclosure -- posted image.

2.92969cubic feet is the volume, well I want to put two 12" JL Audio W1's. And they're rated at 3.739 cu. ft, So my question is are my measurements right, and well the subs still sound good even tho they're not in 3.739cubic feet.

Hey
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

LxWxH divide by 1728

3.8098958 cu.ft.

integradude18 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

O ok so then it would be almost the perfect amount of space for the subwoofers.

Hey
Bumpint 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

Actually, integradude18,  you were right the first time.

Now im assuming you are going to be using 3/4" MDF, and if you do your internal dimensions would be 12.5*27*15 which equals 5062.5 / 1728 = 2.93 cu ft, you should be ok. :)

eprush7 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2007 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

dont forget to put a piece of MDF in the middle of the box to make a chamber for each sub, they will hit much harder.

a good place 2 get  internal dimensions of ur box with out whipn out the old pen and paper is https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp    just type in LxWxH and bingo ya got it.

rush.
Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
they wont hit harder with a divider, the only point to a divider is if u are running 2 amps or a 2 channel amp with each sub on a channel.
If you say "I already know how", don't ask me a single question.
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
  yeah, you only 'need' a divider, but it might not be a bad idea.  they will sound almost the same either way, but a divider will: (#1)strengthen the box  (#2) if you blow a sub (not that anyone ever does-lol), you can still have the other running- if it's not blown.    and if you are worried about the box being shy on airspace, you can try throwing some cheap poly-fill inside it- give it a little more boom.  
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2007 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
Hold On people! There is a SLIGHT but really important oversight here... The 3.7cf is the each subwoofer's equivalent compliance size, not the recommended box size.(Vas) Putting the two subs in a box this big will reduce the output and efficiency of the w1's. The Qtc at 3.7 will be a bit on the low side. (I calculate about .9)
For an "ideal" response curve, he should make the box to fit 2.5cf of airspace after bracing and displacement. This will give him stronger and more responsive street bass. If he is looking to get more boom, then I would put about 2 lbs of poly-fil to maximize boom and control heat buildup.
Now this is assuming integradude18 is using the 12w1v2-4 subs. If he uses the -8 version, it will have a better response curve (stronger peak) but it will double the ohm load.
Ganbatte Ne!
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
bigowl2006 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Go to jl audio.com and look for your sub number and click on it and you will get all of that info inculding specs to build a box.
"Big Owl" The vehicles pal

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic