the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

alpine service

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ra0062 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone had any experience with sending an amp back to alpine for service? It's a MRV-F345, #2 channel is popping every once in awhile, very annoying. Most likely a cap, I'm guessing. Would I be better off buying a new amp?
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

No one can make that decision for you..but..if you were happy with that amp it may be worth fixing. Of course if the estimate for the repair exceeds the value of the amp a replacment is the better option.

You don't have to send it back to Alpine..just find a service center that is authorized to repair Alpine. I use united radio for most of my customers repairs..even factory stuff..they are fast and stand behind thier work. You could also try < color=#008000> www.alpine-usa.com< color=#008000 > ..... perhaps the site can guide you to a local service center if you don't want to send it out.

Good Luck

ra0062 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
I requested a quote from United Radio, (if it turns out to be a cap thats bad). And the closest authorized Alpine service for me is CA. I got to thinking, there is most likely several capacitors in that amp, and whos to say that the others will go bad also. I'll never buy anything used again, unless I know the seller personally.
Thanks for the info
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

No problem....but as with anything without a warranty it is a gamble..plain and simple and more often then not a losing one. Even products that are "new" can be a risk if purchased from a shady source..such as many online or "fly-by-nights" that are not to be found when you have an issue. Gray market..counterfiets...even stolen goods are often sold as "new".

I purchased a headlight from ebay and it fills with water after it rains..the reason I replaced the old one. The person I purchased it from apparently fell off the face of the earth..I am screwed..about 100 bucks. Happens

Buy from a reputable source.

ra0062 
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
Your exactly right, I've learned the hard way. Went down to the JL dealer and bought a 300/4. Got a 2 year warranty too. But, you'll never guess what happened on the way home.....made a quick stop, jumped back in the truck turned the key and......one click sound and everything went black. My freakin battery went, wouldn't even jump start. So I went and bought a yellow top optima. Holy crap! I can't afford to have days like this very often.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

oh dude I feel your pain...everytime I make a little headway and save some money..some unexpected expense come up like a problem with the car..someone I know needs bail...a family member gets sick and I have to leave work to fly somewhere.

It almost seems as if the universe is against me having any money..but I have hope.....I play the lotto.  lol

well not that funny I guess that the lottery is my "back up plan". 

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

Oh..its kinda strange that your battery went just like that...typically they get weaker over time before they are to the point where they won't even take a charge..believe me you would have noticed sooner..and perhaps you have..you didn't say.

Not to make you feel any worse..or that you may not have needed a new battery..but, many times the symptons EXACTLY has you described means the terminals needed to be cleaned. But having a yellow top is not a bad thing, especially if you deep cycle often..either way you won't have to worry about a battery for a long time. One less thing..right?

ra0062 
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
Actually first thing I did was take it in to get checked, it held 12 volts for about half a sec. I just had to laugh. It was seven years old, the factory battery, from when i bought the truck new. As far as terminals, I've got tsunami's Big knarly looking ones that take 4 cables each. Had my 130 amp alternator checked a few weeks ago, it was putting out 14.2 volts. upgraded grounds from battery to frame, and chassis. So I think I can relax now and just enjoy the ride....wait.....oh yeah I got to make a amp rack for both my JL amps.....crap.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, it was time for a new battery. It's just not common for a battery to be able to go from starting a vehicle..to not even able to take a charge in one instant..but thats what happened apparently..it was old as moses in "battery" years. so now an amp rack..it never ends.

Do what I do...go to the lumberyard and take scraps from the dumpster...lol,,hey fiberglass can make anything strong.

wotugot4me 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
I had a bettery go dead like that once, it runed out to be a bad cell, started fine that morning and wouldn't even try start that afternoon.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic