icon

some buying the right head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonkeydonkey13 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
i was wondering what head unit i should buy because i want to run a mom amp for sub and a 4 chann for mids and tweeters, so when i go to buy my head unit should i get one with 2 preamp out puts or just one, becuase then i can have one output per amp or can i do one output to both the amps, need help
jah mon
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

Thats really up to you and your preference/budget.

However.....if you are doing as you stated and using a dedicated amp for subs and another 4ch. for mids/highs IMO you should look for a deck with 3 sets of preouts...one set for front..one for rear..and one for sub..which should be adjustable. This will give to alot more control over the system at the deck. (fading/sub level/cross over points etc)

If you use a deck with just one set of rcas you can still do it..but it will be a "set and forget" system once the  adjustments are made at the amps other then volume and tonel adjustments at the deck.

jonkeydonkey13 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
where would i find a deck with 3 outputs i have looked and can oly find two preouts
jah mon
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
Lots of brands have 3 sets of outputs. Look at Crutchfield"s website and compare.
'85 Toy
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
I think just about every brand out there offers models with 3 sets of pre-outs. But you need to pay a little more..I am unaware if any entry level units have 3 sets.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

Does the 4 channel amp have an RCA output? If it does then you can still use your HU. Connect the front and rear RCA's from your HU to the 4 channel amp, then connect the output from the 4 ch. to the input of your sub-amp. If your 4 ch. amp does have the RCA output (they usually do...) and you don't want to spens too much on a higher-level HU, then get a decent HU with front and rear RCA outputs and do this. Now, you may be able to find one with 3 sets. It all depends on how much you want to spend, but mostly it all depends on where you shop from.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  

Yes..that is another option..but....you will sacrafice sub level and crossover control at the deck, but will retain fader.

But if your sub amp has a remote level control...you can make up for that.  If not you need to decide what you are willing to sacrafice to save a few bucks..it's all wasted money if you are unhappy..or realize you should have done it right the first time... so keep that in mind.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic