icon

reversed polarity on car battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
italia490 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
This is kind of a silly question, but I wanted to find out the full ramifications of what I did. I wasn't paying and put the car battery in wrong and hooked up the ground cable to the positive terminal on the battery and the positive cable to the ground terminal on the battery. Some smoke came from behind the dash and I wanted to find out if I fried anything. The car is a 2000 Ford Mustang. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
DIY'er
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Damn good chance you could have done major damage to the electronics of your vehicle. Sensitive electronics don't take kindly to reverse polarity, it tends to let the magic smoke come out.
theredstealth 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
about all you can do is hook it up and see if it works
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Any luck gettin the smoke back in behind the dash?  On a serious note. Hook it up and see what "doesn't" work. Typically where there is smoke, there is damage.reversed polarity on car battery - Last Post -- posted image.
snowman78 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

The last time i saw something like this, it happened in an 01 eclipse. the only thing is, it wasn't the battery that was hooked up wrong, it was the dimmer switch on the head unit. the car was turned on...and...SMOKE! The entire wiring harness from the fuse box under the dash all the way to the stereo and further was burnt. The shop had to pay and replace the harness...$780 (at the time). Just pray this didn't happen.

Basic installer looking to learn more.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic