icon

05 envoy battery drain problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
overkilljay 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone help!!   I have been trying to put a cs1304 crimesropper RS unit with a 457gw DEI module into an 05 GMC Envoy.  I have probably done 20 of these in the past six months on other vehicles, but this one is driving me insane.  Something is Killing the battery within about 6 hours when any part of the module is used.(locking the door locks or remote starting)  I thought it was a problem with the RS module, so I sent it back to Crimestopper and they replaced it.  The new unit does the exact same thing!!  I really don't think the problem is with the DEI module, but I don't know for sure.  Has anybody had problems like this in the past, or ever heard of a problem with this particular vehicle???
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have more than the bypass connected to the groung out while running wire?  If so you need to diode isolate them- the modules will ground through each other....I had it happen once where I needed a third ignition wire- made it with a relay and it was being held on with the bypass module- since both were connected to the "ground out while running" wire---it should be fairly easy to find- simply do an amp draw test on your unit- then narow it down to the culprit.............
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
overkilljay 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info, i have the ground when armed wire going to the DEI module, and the anti-grind relay.  I will try to diode-isolate it, and hopefully it works.  i have used this combination on many types of gm vehicles before, and never had this problem.  But who knows, tolerances in components on this particular module could be a little different, causing it to stay on.  Thanks a lot for your help!!!

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Anti grind relay? This would be your porblem remove the anti grind relay it is unnecesary the vehicle has one built in from the factory.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

I am trying to understand WHY ground while running is used on the anti grind? Isn't that relay controlled internally? (as on the astrostart, and many others)

Just wondering......

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

On the crimestopper it is not controlled interally. If wired wrong without a diode to isolate it will drain the battery.05 envoy battery drain problem - Last Post -- posted image.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

as mentioned all these units have factory anti-grind.... eliminate that relay and you may eliminate the problem.....

BTW, GWR & GWA are two distantly different outputs... are you sure you have the 457G module connected correctly? because using GWA will have that 457G turned on all the time when the doors are locked..... it should be seeing a GWR not a GWA....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
overkilljay 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

I am going to eliminate the relay tomorrow, and check to make sure I put the module on the GWR output and not the GWA output.  Thanks everyone for your help, and I will re-post my results on Monday.

overkilljay 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone for your help, I eliminated the relay, and the problem went away.  Amazing how such a small oversight on my part can cause such a huge problem.   Thanks again for all your help.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
i tend to suspect it was rewiring the 457G that corrected your problem... but glad it's working now....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic