2 ohm speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

So simply put..it's all a sham...well I didn't expect anything less...lol

Thanks Steven....oh..can you show me how to measure impedance??...I can't seem to find an impedance meter anywhere.. kidding BTW but I was always told it was impossible to measure impedance because it is constantly changing..so what do they use to chart these "graphs"?

Not really that important to me..I am just curious.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
i have used JBL's GTO series speakers (which are all 2 ohm) without a separate amp many times with no adverse effects....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
To accurately measure the impedance of a speaker at ANY given frequency, you need either: 1, an impendace meter, (but most of those will be at one or maybe 2 frequencies, and very expensive) or B, a signal generator (free, from MANY sources on the net) with amplifier (10 watts is all you'd need) and a Wheatstone Bridge, which can be easily built for around 20 dollars. You should already HAVE your VOM...
As long as you know all the resistances of your fixed resistors in your wheatstone bridge, you can figure with very high accuracy the resistance of your speaker, at any given frequency. As you use this device, you can build a small spreadsheet with resistance equivalents already mapped out for whatever voltage your meter happens to be reading. Also, this setup can be used for ANY driver, with equal efficiency and accuracy.
Build your bridge with high tolerance (.5% or better, and I've seen .25% and even .1% resistors out there - those'll get EXPENDY though) CARBON PILE resistors, and they only need to be a couple of watts, that's why this can be built so cheaply. You could even, in theory, have three of these little guys in your toolbox - one for 2 ohms, one for 4 ohms and one for 8 ohms... OR if your meter has a high enough reading scale, you can use one of them for ALL speakers :)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

Now that is interseting..it's amazing how much info I get from here that no one else ever knows. I do remember vaugly about  a wheatstone bridge..I heard it mentioned in school..and there is a question about it on the MECP Master exam. I believe is was built with 5 resistors...4 connected end to end and one goes across between 2 sets of 2.

I always thought it would never actually be truly "balanced" because of resistor tolerance. But I guess it would be darn close if you had the money for .1%..perhaps NASA doesn't even use resistors that tight...(well we've seen some of thier results).

Anyhow..I would never really go through any of this..it was just curiosity..the ratings so for have been enough info for me to work with in everyday life of installing.

Getting back to the Infinity reference 2ohm speakers...does anyone disagree that these are actually 4ohm and the 2ohm rating is simply a marketing ploy? 

Thanks again everyone..you all are great.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic