icon

91 civic lx stereo problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dougthedino 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so heres the deal i have a 91 civic lx and the guy who had it befor me decided he wanted to cut the stereo wires in it so now i have a bunch of wires hanging there. well i got on here and found out what wires are what but when i actually go to hook it all up i dont get any power to the stereo. i have all the speaker wires hooked up first just to makes sure there are none exrta and i think i came out with 2 extra and no idea what they are for but im not worried about that. what i want to know is if any one has any info on what to do on how to check y im not geting power to the stereo. i cheked with my meter and im getting power threw the wire im just not getting my stereo on so if any one has any ideas on how to wire it up or anything that would be great
doug
samuelsteven 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
On the back of the stereo, theres a yellow wire and a red wire. Ones for constant power from the vehicle and ones for ignition power. Twist both of those wires together and crimp it with the wire that has power, the one you checked with the meter. Your radio should power with the key on. Let me know if it works
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
what samuel said is a good way to test it but you shouldn't leave it that way. It is probably just a fuse that is blown 9 times out of 10 if the wires have been cut off a fuse (or fuses) is blown. Check all the fuses in the car at the internal fuse box and the one under the hood. Don't just check the ones that say radio or something check them all. After thats done you should hopefully have two power wires one that is constant all the time which goes to the yellow on the stereo and one that is only 12v when the ignition is on that goes to red. Also make sure any "extra" wires are taped or covered in some way so they do not cause problems in the future. Good luck
--->Richard
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
samuelsteven 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2007 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Well actually it wont do any harm if they are crimped with the ignition power. Although i was just showin him how to test the radio. But your right about it being a blown fuse, because most amateurs cut wires all at once instead of one by one, which causes a short. Good point on the tape off.
danwood 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

The first thing I would do in this situation is go on this site's wiring diagrams. From there you can see which factory wires are supposed to do what. Then I would use a testlight to make sure that the ground, power, and switch wires are working properly. Turn your ignition on and off while testing the switch wire and see if it blinks, if it does than your switch is connected right. The (extra wires youre reffering to are probibly for a power antenna or 12 volt switch to amp. If youre not going to use these trhen cap them off. If they are all working properly then you can see if your head unit turns on. Do a (bench test) with only the power, ground and switch wires attatched. Factory color codes change from car to car, but in the aftermarket (thank god) they keep them all the same. The red and yellow wires from the back of your head unit are always going to be your constant power wires, one for actually powering the radio, and the other for the clock. Your ground is black of course and the power switch wire will be thin blue with or without a stripe. These are the only wires you need to make your headunit function. Most people see the jumble of wires and get intimidated without realizing that 80% of them just go to the speakers.This should leave you with 8 wires (for the spearers) minus the ones you capped off. If your head unit turns on then you can attatch the speaker wires, agian using the 12 volts wiring color database. Hope this helps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic