icon

filling pin holes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
techneck 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys i'm just about finished with my first project and I have sanded it down to 320. I just misted the enclosure with primer, after I did I noticed a few small pin holes and other tiny blemishes.
What can I use to fill in these small spots?? Body filler?? body fill/FG Resin combo??
Any help will be appreciated
maxxheadroom 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
Use putty coat, typically it comes in a tube. Don't use the type that does not require hardener as it will shrink leaving you with a nasty finish.
wdtsf
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
I use Evercoat Easy Sand for larger blemishes (big enough to fit a
pencil led into).
filling pin holes - Last Post -- posted image.
When I discover pin holes in my projects (it happens), I go over the entire project with a coat of high build primer (fast dry cheap crap is fine). After that dries (10 minuets later) I go over it with a heat gun. The heat gun will force any air trapped inside of pin holes or air pockets to swell and expose them selves. I then grind or pick out those spots, mark them with a pencil, and fill them with Easy Sand. When I apply the Easy Sand I push the filler in the hole and then drag it back over the hole. If the filler bubbles up after dragging I know that there is still air trapped in the hole.   
Next I sand the Easy Sand with 80 grit by hand. This takes only a couple of minuets.
If I have any micro pinholes left I fill them with Lacquer based glazing putty. This putty Will shrink on you if you use it for large repairs (its not made for that). If you use it on only small pin holes (to small to fit a pencil led onto) you will never have a problem. In fact it works miracles and dose it fast!
I sand the glazing putty with 150 grit
Then I shoot My project with acrylic lacquer high build primer.
5 Star brand product # 5403
This primer is professional grade, cheap, fast dry, and will fill in blemishes that you wont believe until you try it.
Read and follow the instructions on all of these products. I do, and I seem to have less problems and am able to work much faster than any body that I have personally met.
I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic