icon

viewing videos from my ipod

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rageforth 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
I hooked up a Jensen VM9020TS in my 2001 Ford Escape. On the back of the reciever it has RCA connectors for an auxillery unit such as an external portable DVD player or whatever. Well I went out and bought a cable that has the RCA connectors on one end and a 3.5mm headphone jack on the other so I can play music videos from my iPod. I plugged it up the the reciever and the other end into my iPod trying to get it to play the videos. What I get is something similar to snow. It flashes white horizontal lines in random places on a black background and then flips to a blue screen that says "No Signal" and then flashes back and forth really quickly. The audio comes through nicely but the video doesn't. What is going on?
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
apple uses a proprietary cable for it's iPod's and to my knowledge it is laid out differently than a universal 3 way 3.5mm jack. While it is possible to get video out of the headphone jack you need to get a cable that is specific to the iPod to do it. Also if the Jensen in question is bypassed so that video is viewable while driving please disregard everything I said.
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
rageforth 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
The RCA cables I bought said it would work the way I am wanting it to. Granted the cables are for TV's but since the reciever also plays DVD movies and recieves TV stations using an antenna I assumed it would work the same for me. And yes, I do have a toggle switch that allows me to view videos while driving. Could it be something with the way I converted the videos to put on my iPod? Maybe it only plays a certain file type in the TV?
rageforth 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

I figured out what the problem was. When ferretvw said it is laid out differently, it got me thinking. Apparently the guys at Apple decided to send the video signal over the red RCA output. Normally it arrives on yellow. So basically I had to redirect the outputs. The red RCA plugs into the TV's yellow RCA jack. The yellow RCA plug into the TV's white RCA jack. The white RCA plug into the TV's red RCA jack. It's working great now!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic