icon

factory door chime, 2002 cavalier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. Heres my situation. First off I have a 2002 cavalier which has an aftermarket headunit in it. When installing the headunit, you must purchase a relocation wiring harness to relocate the factory radio because the air bag's wiring runs through the radio. The radio is now mounted in my trunk. now, I also have brand new speakers in my car which are rewired, but are wired to an amp. In other words, all my speakers are wired to an amp and not to the headunit speaker outputs. Now since my speakers are ran to my amp, I dont have the door chim at all. And what really sucks about it is when I turn my car off, but my headlights are on. My car doesnt chim to let me know that my headlights are on. I want to somehow get my factory door chim back but keep everything wired up the way it is (speaker to amp wise). And to be honest with you, my mother has an 01 cavalier which just has new speakers wired to the headunit (which is an aftermarket one) and when she turns the car off, the driver side speaker makes that sound  like your TV makes when you have a channel on that you cant get (snowy screen). But when she opens the door, it turns off and the door chim works. now the reason it makes that sound is because the car has that "radio on until door is opened" on it, but the headunit turns off when you turn the ignition off. So I had to pull one of the relays that came with the relocation harness to stop that sound but it also took away the door chim. So what could I do on my car?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
Try using the gmrco1(metra) harness it includes a speaker for the door chime retention.
wlmpwlmp 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
all you should have to do is from the factory deck now in the trunk, hook up the front left speaker output of that deck to the amp wire that is feeding that front left door speaker, use diodes of course, so when the car is running the amp output wont put power into that factory connection you just made. Im just wondering if the size of diodes you use must be highly rated ones?? maybe someone else can help me shed more light on this subject!! the diodes are designed to let positive signal flow only one direction, and same for ground to only flow one way.  i guess you will only really need to diode isolate the positive from the deck to let the power flow out to run the chime but not let the music power of the amp flow back into that wire.
WesMan
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

I understand you both. Thank you. Let me describe alittle further. I yanked out the factory and put it in my trunk. The relocation harness is lets say 15 feet long which is wrapped in a thick plastic "thingy" to protect it. The one end has a plug that plugs directly into the back of the factory radio. The other end goes to where the radio used to be and plugs into the plug that before was plugged to the back of the radio. Understand? That end also has wires coming off of it that would then go to the new headunit. The only wires that are used then are the black, red, yellow, but none of the speaker wires are used. So this is what im thinking of doing. If I go and buy a tweeter, mount it somewhere under my dash (say above the hood latch opener) and run those wires to the left front speaker wires off the harness, would that work?

wlmpwlmp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
yes doing that option works as i have done it for a frined in his cavvy.  we put the tweeter he had into the cubby that came with his new decks mounting kit, and that chime sound worked great!!
WesMan
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

and i wont have any music play through that tweeter since none of my speaker wires are currently wired to the new headunit, correct?

wlmpwlmp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

AGREED!!!

WesMan
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2007 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
I just did a 2002 cavilier last weekend, the easiest way to do it is to use the Gmrc01 like recomended.    No relocation needed, and has a chime module on that harness
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2007 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
ok, but I already have everything installed. My system has been installed for 3 years now with the factory radio in my trunk. I dont want to mess with that. Instead I want to get the door chim back but leave everything alone. Is there a way to wire something to the drivers door trigger or something?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic