icon

2007 camry r/s grinding problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dnt408 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2007 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
Just finished installing a clifford RSX 3.5 (Same as Viper 791XV) in my first camry 2007. Everything is wired up correctly. The problem is that when I do a remote start and if the tach wire isn't in, it will try to shut down but instead grinds.
Yeah I know I need the tach wired up but I removed it just for a bit to test out if it would shutdown correctly. It Didn't. I already program the tach too. I know that I could turn off the Engine Checking but for safty I would perfer to have it able to shutdown if something is wrong. I notice that in another thread regarding a remote start for 2007 camry hybrid, they also recommended turning off Engine checking. I guess the grinding was the reason.
Anyways, is there something I can do or just turn off engine checking and live with it? thanks
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 17, 2007 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

Is the term "engine checking" refering to voltage sensing, or alternator sensing, instead of using the tach input? The tach wire you used? where did you get it?

Astrochart shown the black wire at the OBDII connector under the dash.

Yeah I know I need the tach wired up but I removed it just for a bit to test out if it would shutdown correctly.  This statement would lead me to believe the tach wasn't programmed correctly.

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2007 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
I don't get what your trying to do! Of coarse the starter will grind if the tach wire isn't connected, it should. The RS doesn't know the car is running and the starter stays engaged, that's the whole idea of having the tach wire to start with. Hook it back up like it's supposed to be, black wire on the OBD2 connector. If there's more than one black wire, it's the one in the corner by itself in the plug...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
dnt408 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
Okay on my other car, a toyota 2001 Rav4, (Same alarm)if I leave the tach wire out, it will try to start the car for 1 sec, then once it realize that it can't read the tach, it will shutdown. But for some reason, with this car, once it realize that there is not tach it will try to shutdown but in the process it seem to start grinding.
I did program the tach. i.e. Start car, hold down valet button until the led stays on.
I did use the tach wire from the the obd II. I know it's correct because does give the correct reading of 1-6v
KarTuneMan engine checking is a option on the alarm that either checks the voltage or tach to make sure that the car has started. I used the tach reading. I know it works because if I leave the tach in it will start fine.
But I guess I understand your point. From a technical stand point if you can't read the tach then most likly the car hasn't started so the alarm should try again. But shouldnt it be like my rav4 in which it starts for 1 sec then shutdown if it doesn't sense the tach. The problem is when it shut down it grinds the starter instead.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
the DEI units has 3 attempts if improper tach signal.
if you're not satisfy w/ tach-sense, then switch over to volt-sense and adjust crank time.
how did you wired up the second starter? did you isolate it from the 1st starter wire?
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
dnt408 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2007 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
profuse007, the problem is when it tries to shutdown the remote start it ends up grinding. I know the other fail safe works, i.e. if I press the brake or open the hood. It will shutdown without grinding. So basically since it will try 3 times, in the process of shutdown the first attempt, there is a grinding noise. Thats not the case with my RAV4. It will try to start for 1 sec, the shutdown, 1sec, shutdown, 1sec, shutdown.
The second starter is wired to the small purple wire on satellite using a relay. (Starter output) Does this wire stay on the whole time that it tries to start or does it shutdown in between the start? If it doesn't shutdown then that might be the reason why the grinding is happening. If that is the case then I have to relay it to the first starter.
So no one has had this problem with the 07 camry w/ DEI R/S?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 18, 2007 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
Every remote starter is a little bit different, but a common setup is for the unit to crank the starter for up to 6 seconds until it sees a tach signal. The DEI stuff may crank a little longer or a little shorter, but that's about average.
So, if the tach wire is disconnected, yes, it's going to go right on cranking the starter.
If you were to do nothing and just sit there watching, it would shut the whole car down after a few more seconds of grinding, try the whole thing twice again, and then give up.
You'll get away with doing that a few times, but if you do it enough, probably the car's starter and/or flywheel will be damaged.
As others have said, I have no idea why you wish to disconnect the tach wire at this point, unless it's just to play around and experiment and see what happens.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 18, 2007 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
12 VOLTS Black Ignition switch harness   + 
 IGNITION Yellow Ignition switch harness   + 
 IGNITION 2 Pink Ignition switch harness   + 
 ACCESSORY White Ignition switch harness   + 
 STARTER Blue Ignition switch harness   + 
 STARTER 2 Gray Ignition switch harness   + 
 KEY SENSE Blue 2-pin white plug at steering column   - 
 TACH SIGNAL Black At diagnostic plug below driver's dash   AC 
 You can also go to any of the engine coils and use the wire that is not Brown, WHITE/ blue or WHITE/ black.
Have you gotten all this wired correctly? Hook the tach up, learn the tach, and be done with it! Tach is allways better than voltage sence.
dnt408 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I wired it correctly KarTuneMan. I guess you guys are right. It's acutally working correctly. It's suppose to try and restart if it doesn't sense a tach. Anyways I left it alone. Thanks for all your help and patience.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic