icon

speakers and rms watts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
82Firebird 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2007 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
I've finally decided to replace the crappy 2 channel amp I have powering my 6.5" Alpine Type R components with a 4 channel to power the components as well as the Alpine Type R 6x9's in the sail panels.
My question is this: how many watts over the RMS power can you go without potential hazard to the speakers. I realize the RMS rating is the rating which is recommended for optimal performance from the manufacturer. The amp I was thinking about going with would give each of these speakers 100 watts RMS. The components are rated at 70 watts RMS while the 6x9's are 55 watts RMS.
I've heard of guys running components rated at 50 watts RMS with over 100 watts RMS. Is this crazy, or typical? I've always played things pretty safe with wattages but now I'm wondering if I'm too critical.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2007 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
The RMS power rating is NOT the power rating for OPTIMAL performance...it is a basic power handling rating...in full range.
If you high pass a speaker it will raise the power handling.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2007 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
Zero watts. The RMS rating is how much power the speaker can take, electrically. It has no bearing on "performance". It is not a recommended power by the manufacturer, it is a terminal power. Anything OVER that, on a continuous basis, will be TERMINAL.
aznboi3644 wrote:
The RMS power rating is NOT the power rating for OPTIMAL performance...it is a basic power handling rating...in full range.
This is wrong too. 100 watts whether it is 100 watts at 100Hz and up or true full range is 100 watts. If it is more than the driver can take on a continuous basis, you will fry the driver.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
82Firebird 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2007 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so, what's my risk of killing them by giving them each 100watts? Or should I just meet the RMS wattage of each speaker?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Your risk of "killing" a speaker rated for 70 watts by feeding it 100 watts continuously is 100%.  However head room is a good thing as you do not want to operate any amp at its max output for very long.  You will not likely operate the system at max volume all the time will you?  100 watts is probably fine, just be sure to set your gain properly and pay attention to your volume control and to sounds of distress from your speakers, and turn it down if you detect any.
Support the12volt.com
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Zero watts. The RMS rating is how much power the speaker can take, electrically. It has no bearing on "performance". It is not a recommended power by the manufacturer, it is a terminal power. Anything OVER that, on a continuous basis, will be TERMINAL.
aznboi3644 wrote:
This is wrong too. 100 watts whether it is 100 watts at 100Hz and up or true full range is 100 watts. If it is more than the driver can take on a continuous basis, you will fry the driver.
Sorry...I mean high pass as it will raise power handling as in less likely to reach the speakers mechanical limits before its thermal limits

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic