icon

cleanest way to get signal from oem radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Raymond4646 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2007 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
I though thats what you meant.  I figured I ask anyways incase you knew of some special procedure...LOL  Thanks again man!
loosingmymind 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2007 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
Not a problem. Anytime!
David Fancher
USACi World Finals 2006
4th Place SQ PRO 601+
j0z3r 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
Hi guys.
I'm an amateur at installing car audio components, and to be honest I'm a bit confused with how some of this equipment works. My old system was a relatively easy install, as I had an after market HU with three sets of RCA outs, so it was pretty much plug and play.
Now that I have a new truck, '06 Toyota Tacoma X-runner, I am really missing the sound quality and punch of my old system.
So my question is basically, what are the steps involved for me to get my old amps wired into my factory head unit? I understand it will involve the use of a hi/low converter, as I have seen much mention in this thread. My curiosity lies mainly in how the converter is implemented to power the amps.
I will be running two amplifiers, a 4-channel for the front and rear speakers and a two channel for the sub (though given the size of the cab, I am thinking of leaving the sub out of the equation).
Anyhow, this is long-winded enough. I would greatly appreciate a bit of insight as to how I need to go about accomplishing my end goal.
Thanks in advance all.
We have in fact, two kinds of morality, side by side: one that we preach, but do not practice, and another that we practice, but seldom preach.
-- Bertrand Russell
Raymond4646 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
Basically pick a set of speakers. Hook up the hi/low adaptor by,  splicing into the existing +/- wires to attain your signal.   Next hook up the rca wires into the adaptor.
loosingmymind 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

Be shure you get a strong converter because you're spliting your signal. Most converters have a pretty low voltage output. You dont want to rob your amps! Try a piece from periphreal.

Dave

David Fancher
USACi World Finals 2006
4th Place SQ PRO 601+
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Dave, you say that most cheapo hi/lo convertors have a low voltage output. Isn't this something that the gain on the amp can make up for?
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2007 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  

Yes the amp can make up for it, but at a cost. That cost of increased gain is increased noise entering the system. Some of the hi - lo adaptors on the market these days are also a low power only type device. With more and more factory amplified systems on the market, a basic hi - lo adaptor is not the ideal way to go. I like the Audio Control products. While they are not marketed as a interface, rest assured that they most certianly are for some of them. A particular favorite is the 6XS which is a line driver, crossover, master sub level controller, output gain controller as well as a highly advanced LOC. The LCi is also another great interface adaptor that should be looked at as well.

www.audiocontrol.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
loosingmymind 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2007 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks forbidden. Couldn't have said it better myself. Audio control makes great products. For someone looking at their pocket book though; there is no substitute for about 5 to 8 volt output from a reasonably priced Eclipse piece. Or a middle of the road Sven 4 hi/low piece. I agree though on the A.C. stuff. Premiere equipment!!

Dave

David Fancher
USACi World Finals 2006
4th Place SQ PRO 601+
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic