will new system need new alt and bat.?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Forgot about this one from haemphyst on this exact subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
murree wrote:
i'm running about 1400watts max (400mx in my 4 channel, 1000max for my subs) in my 02 cavalier on stock alternator and just a normal battery that i bought from costco, i've got a stinger 1 farad in my power line before my distro block. and i'm not having any head light diming issues....
I can promise you, it is NOT because you have a crap... Remove it, and I think you'll find that you have exactly the same performance in your audio system, and your electrical system will still have no issues.
The reason you are not having any "head light dimming issues" is one of two reasons:
1: Your electrical system is already up to the challenge of your (apparently WAY over-rated) audio system. You didn't specify any manufacturer names, so I can't actually say HOW much overrated your amps are, but my guess is Boss or Audiobahn. If you don't know the RMS rating of the amp, then the manufacturer is a misleading company, and one that I would always avoid. Stating ONLY max ratings sounds like Boss, Audiobahn, Kenford, Rockwood... ANY of the Swap-o-Rama specials.
2: Your system is NOT REALLY rated at what it claims (i.e. overrated). You say a total of 1400 watts, but you specify MAX power. Max power is at a MINIMUM (depending on the manufaturer) twice (I have seen maximim ratings stated as high as 4 times the RMS power capabilities of the amplifier) the RMS power of a system, meaning you are only using (around) 30 to 40A on a relatively consistent basis, and that is only if you are cranking it, BUT still keeping your outputs short of severe clipping.
Again, I will tell you, the cap is probably doing precious LITTLE to absolutely NOTHING in your system...
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
For your information, my amps are not crap. I have an earthquake 600 watt 4 channel, a soundstorm 400 watt 4 channel (soso amp but for tweeters) and a 2000 watt 2 channel Kole audio amp. Earthquake and Kole audio amps are not by any means crap. I dont go around dissing anyone elses car audio system. I base my system on what my alt and battery can put out. I honestly dont know what my alt puts out but the factory one can put out 90 to 100 amps. I just know that I have no issues with power shortage, lights dimming, or anything else. If I wanted "crap" I would go out and buy the amps you mentioned. Maybe even go a step further and buy Pyramid (which i also dont think is bad). If you seriously want to see how much power an amp can put out, simply look at the fuse rating(s) it has. 
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
Lets get this straight. The posting directly provides info about electrical systems. The reference to equipment brands was related to the context of the posting of another member. If you read the post you would see it was quoted from another memeber from another posting. No where does it say "audioman2007 gear is crap or being dissed". The point is many cheaper brands make claimes that are no way plausable. It is saying take into account the quality of gear when making factual decisions. Fuse ratings can also be misleading.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Kole is pretty much crap...sorry
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
Kole audio is not crap. I dont understand why people go on here and say what "they" think is a good brand. I dont think any brand is crap. It is just that some brands lie about what their amps can actually put out. When I go and buy an amp, I dont go and max it out just because of what it says it can handle. I have already ran Pyramid, Pyle, and other low end brands, and have had no problems with them. Yes, I could tell they werent powerful like the box said they were, but I never ran them at max. I put it this way..... If someone likes what they have in their car, then that is good enough.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
If you like your equipment than that is all that matters...I like Power Acoustik PS2-520 and P2-820 amps...most people consider those crappy bottem end amps but with my experience with them they are tough buggers
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Well you like power acustik but kole is crap? Did you know that they are the same company? I used to have a power acoustic amp myself. It was a 1600 watt 2 channel. I think it was called blue saphire which has a blue neon that lights up. I had it for alittle more than 4 years and totally loved it. It pounded hard and was very clean. But yes I know it wasnt actually 1600 watts. To be honest with you, I wouldnt want an amp that does that much. It wouldnt be pleasent to listen to plus wouldnt be clean.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic