icon

viper 160xv transmitter relearn?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
new2mud 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 160XV remote start with 2 transmitters.  Both worked perfectly.

I just took the battery out of one of them and put it back in.  Now the LED functions fine (indicating that the transmitter is indeed functioning), but the receiver module does not respond.  (The other untouched transmitter still works perfectly).

Does the brain need to "relearn" the transmitter once the battery is replaced?  If so, how do I get it to recognize this transmitter again?

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 25, 2007 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
The remotes should not need to be reprogrammed after swapping batteries. This sounds like your remote may be bad. You can get the installation manual here, it covers remote programming starting on page 27.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
new2mud 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2007 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the tip. 

I gotta admit:  I did try to extend the range of the transmitter by doing the trick of soldering a small wire onto the internal antenna.  Other than that (and I made sure I minimized heat to the actual antenna) the only thing I did was remove the battery while soldering.

Adding the antenna extender shouldn't alter the transmistter's operation, though.

Any thoughts?

new2mud 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2007 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

I did already try the programming method from the Installation manual (thanks for the link) to no avail.

For those more familiar with DEI remote programming, how does the auto configuration method work (1 blink on the LED during programming mode)?  Do you select this mode and then press *any* button on the transmitter to automatically asign the default button settings to the transmitter?

Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 26, 2007 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
NEW2MUD wrote:
I gotta admit: I did try to extend the range of the transmitter by doing the trick of soldering a small wire onto the internal antenna. Other than that (and I made sure I minimized heat to the actual antenna) the only thing I did was remove the battery while soldering.
Adding the antenna extender shouldn't alter the transmistter's operation, though.
Who told you that this 'trick' would work? This sounds to me like you killed your transmitter.
If you press any other button than channel one, the autolearn feature does not work. It has to be channel one for the system to auto program the remaining buttons.
new2mud 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2007 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Twelvoltz wrote:
NEW2MUD wrote:
I gotta admit: I did try to extend the range of the transmitter by doing the trick of soldering a small wire onto the internal antenna. Other than that (and I made sure I minimized heat to the actual antenna) the only thing I did was remove the battery while soldering.
Who told you that this 'trick' would work? This sounds to me like you killed your transmitter.
If you press any other button than channel one, the autolearn feature does not work. It has to be channel one for the system to auto program the remaining buttons.
Thanks for the howto on autolearn.
The soldered antenna trick is a fairly common one done on factory keyless entry transmitters. I'm surprised it's not more well known around here.
Link:
http://www.instructables.com/id/E7XMJ34BEOEV2Z7VEP?ALLSTEPS
Twelvoltz 
Posted: March 26, 2007 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
If you can remove the additional parts you added to your remote you may be able to repair it, trusting you did not burn out any of the remote components when soldering in the wire.
This may work on the older technology remote controls like what is shown in the tutorial, but the newer remotes are designed to give the maximum range you can achieve with that system. I do not think that adding wire to your remote will do anything but hinder performance.
Besides that, I do not think I could ever follow the instructions of someone who labels pubic hair in a how-to tutorial.
new2mud 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2007 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
Twelvoltz wrote:
If you can remove the additional parts you added to your remote you may be able to repair it, trusting you did not burn out any of the remote components when soldering in the wire.
This may work on the older technology remote controls like what is shown in the tutorial, but the newer remotes are designed to give the maximum range you can achieve with that system. I do not think that adding wire to your remote will do anything but hinder performance.
Besides that, I do not think I could ever follow the instructions of someone who labels pubic hair in a how-to tutorial.
I'm still chuckling from your comment. I know what you mean. LOL.
Darnit--and here I thought the "extended range" systems these days were just non-neutered antenna, etc. Guess it's more technology than that with this newfangled technology, huh?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic