the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

motorcycle remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2007 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have done some reading and I have found some Chinese manufactured remote starts for motorcycles but they lack a couple of important features I would need. A couple of people in my HOG chapter have inquired about adding a RS to their bikes, more for the wow factor than anything else. The issue I have is that all pre-2007 Harley's will start in gear.
Does anyone know of any system specifically designed for a bike, water resistant, small, etc. The other requirements would be that the system would have to have some type of neutral safety input as well as what amounts to a diesel delay. The delay would not need to be more than 10 seconds, but if it were bigger it would be fine. The delay is just so the computer can complete it's checks prior to starting.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2007 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
hi there, i have done a few remote starts on motor bikes, the ones i have fitted have come with safety input wires, and as for the delay needed im not sure how you would get around that, maybe there is a way you can hook up a timer on the starter wire??
i am also a technician so if you have any engine trouble let me know, and i will do my best to help.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2007 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
The import bikes will not allow the starter to engage if the trans is in any gear other than neutral. Harley however is a different story. The delay is not as important as the neutral safety input. Do you have a brand name on the starters you have done?
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2007 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
Assuming the bike has a ground switched neutral indicator, couldn't you just hook up a starter interrupt relay that passes the starter signal(through the COM-NO contacts, 30&87), only when the coil gets the ground from the neutral switch?
As far as the delay, you could set up a delay timer easily enough, but if it wasn't designed into the unit, it probably wouldn't like seeing nothing happen for that length of time and just shut down again.
If the unit doesn't have the capability, maybe one of the aux outputs could be used to manually switch the ignition on prior to sending the start command- won't be as neat, but it might be a workaround.
Twelvoltz 
Posted: March 28, 2007 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
dualsport wrote:
Assuming the bike has a ground switched neutral indicator, couldn't you just hook up a starter interrupt relay that passes the starter signal(through the COM-NO contacts, 30&87), only when the coil gets the ground from the neutral switch?
Yes there are a lot of ways I could achieve preventing the starter from engaging unless the neutral indicator was on. Again this is just more for the wow factor than anything else. I was really hoping that someone manufactured a piece that offered a neutral safety input without having to run additional relays that would be very difficult to hide the wiring as well as requiring additional mounting space which is almost impossible to find unless it is a bagger. If the bike has bags on it, I can use the Avital pieces I use on cars, but with any of the non-bagged bikes there is next to NO space anywhere on the bike so adding components that require more space is something I would like to avoid. In addition to the fact that most car systems are meant to be installed inside the cabin. I have done many security systems on bikes, mostly the Merlin piece from DEI and have had great success but Harley now offers a security system on all of their bikes which kind of kills that little niche.
Thank You for the suggestions.
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2007 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
i cannot rem what the name of the units were that i fitted as it was a while back now sorry, and as you say yourself there are ways around what you want to do but its all down to where the hell do you put it all on a motorbike.
i am also a technician so if you have any engine trouble let me know, and i will do my best to help.
autosparx 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2007 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

Ive just installed a Directed 'Clifford GP1000T' on a 2007 Honda Fireblade and for remote start WOW factor I used a 'Valet'  stand alone remote start (also by Directed) linked to the output from the Clifford, also needed was a factory transponder immobiliser bypass module (again I used a Directed one)  ! 3 Boxes = loads of cables ! But at least on the sports bikes theres lots of removable trim to hide boxes behind. Managed to use the neutral switch for safety but didnt really need it as the bike wont crank whilst in gear anyway.

Use a security system with two accessory outputs ie a Hornet entry level by Directed, one latched output for 'ignition on' at the press of a button and a second ' pulsed' output for your crank feed ? dont bother fitting siren etc if its just the remote start your after.

Start delay....Hmmm, I remember once fitting a 'stand alone' Avital remote start system on a diesel van which had programmable a timed delay for glow plugs...Or Cobra vehicle security make a very small timer relay which can be configured to give a 6, 12 or 18 second delay.

Directed also do a 'manual transmission module' for remote start on manuals it remembers wether you 'told it ' before you turned the ignition off last wether its out of gear or not, I think its part number is MTM1

My heads buzzing now !

ALL THE BEST. 

The current flowing through a conductor is proportional to the potential difference blah blah blah etc etc etc....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic