rs parking light output car w/autolights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icarus_icarus 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2007 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  

I'm hooking a Compustar 2W900FSAS (CM3000-V.3) to a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

The car has automatic lights that turn on the headlights and parking lights when dark. I don't want to disable this feature so thought of hooking it up like this:

rs parking light output car w/autolights -- posted image.

This way the parking lights can flash at night, even under remote start when the car would automatically turn the parking lights on, right?

There is power to the parking lights as normal when the RS is off or unarmed, and through out the day unless armed or remote started (which won't matter because it will still flash the parking lights via Relay 2.) At night when under remote start, it will kill the parking lights from coming one until it's unarmed or no longer under remote start... Only thing I see I will lose is if I have it running off the key at night, I will lose the flashing lights if I unlock/lock the doors via remote...

Does anyone see any trouble I might run into doing it this way, or can suggest a better way please?

peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2007 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) N/A     
 PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) BROWN (+)  @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH

Your park lights are positive, so the way you've wired it up is correct:

You have it so that unless the Ground While Running (-) wire triggers the first relay to shift the lead from 87a to 87 (a dead lead), you'll have full functionality of the parking lights.  When the GWR triggers the solenoid to shift to the dead lead, the only way the parking lights will receive +12volts to trigger the under engine relay (to power the park lights) is in the case of the (-) park light trigger from your remote start brain while will trigger the solenoid on the second relay to shift to 87 while has a constant, fused 12 volt supply (since it can no longer received power from 87a .. now a dead lead during remote start activation).

Do you want your headlights to be off while the remote start is active?  b/c in this setup, you still have full functionality of the auto headlights b/c you haven't isolated and relayed the headlight circuit.  If it were me, I'd probably not want the headlights to come on until I pressed the brake and disarmed/de-activated the remote start (hence killing the GWR trigger).

Nice setup .. i think you'll be golden.

The search function is your friend.
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2007 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the better description of what I'm doing peterubers, yours it easier to understand than mine. I know if it's under remote start I won't be able to turn the parking lights on either from the switch in the car (if it's under RS though, then I most likely won't be in the car anyways to turn them on.) I was just trying to think of an easier way to let the lights flash via the remote without losing the functionality of the autolights.

I don't think I need (want) to worry about the headlights coming on. It might be a good idea though as I have HID's and want them to last longer... I'll have to think about that part. :)

peterubers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2007 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah.. i was about to say .. your car was one of the first to have HID in them... I believe the MB S500 was the other car that had HID at that time.  I know for a fact it'll be about $500.00 (in and around there) to replace a halogen headlamp.
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 4:11 AM / IP Logged  

oh man... used bulbs for these dang things are fetching $200+ on eBay etc!!! insane... :(

·Ï¢årµ§·
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I finally got some time to wire up more of this...

I hooked the lights up the way I posted, and it works fine when remote started, but if the parking lights (or headlights) are on already, the relays actuate too quickly between killing the power (relay 1) to the p lights and flashing for lock/unlock (relay 2). So all you get is the p lights flashing once for both lock/unlock rs parking light output car w/autolights -- posted image. 

I got rid of the relays and just hooked up the + light output of the module to the p lights on the car... I figured I don't care now if I can see the p lights flash when the autolights are on and it will be more reliable without all the relays/wiring, and no current draw on the first relay when armed and the car is off...

It was worth a shot rs parking light output car w/autolights -- posted image.

Thanks peterubers for the input rs parking light output car w/autolights -- posted image.

·Ï¢årµ§·
peterubers 
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
sorry it didn't work out exactly the way you wanted it .. sometimes things seem to be flawless on paper .. then when ya go to do the deed... it comes down to timing of mechanical parts.  Either way, I know this project was a bear for you, congrats on being done finally -- enjoy that remote start.
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

hehe... I'm still not done unforunately... I've only worked on it for a few hours here and there, most of it was planning only a bit actually working (I've been working nights and get lazy other times when its cold out rs parking light output car w/autolights -- posted image. )...

Been absolutely beautiful out today and have spent a good 4-5 hours outside and now have the majority of it done though rs parking light output car w/autolights -- posted image. Just about to start the door locks once I get the hood/trunk switches done, and then clean it all up/loom wires etc etc etc, I hope to be done by dinner if I don't run into any more problems, although I need to goto the store to get another relay for the locks and a bit more shrink wrap...

·Ï¢årµ§·
wayne3 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

I hope that this will help:use two relays,

#1 relay,Cut HL wire(wire that feeds HLs)

Switch side to pin # 30. HL side to pin#87a. -from RS when running to pin #85. +12V  to pin #86.

#2 relay.

tap PLs to pin #30. -from RSwhen running to pin #85. +12V to pin #87.

This setup allows you to know that RS is operating without your expensive HID'S on.

If you want your PLS to flash you can do this:you will need two diodes(in basics on this site)

Find your RTand LT bulb + feeds.tap #1 diode  cathode end to RT feed. tap #2 diode cathode end to LT feed.connect anode ends of diodes together. tie wire from your RS + park lamp feed to the anode ends.

I believe this should work.If anyone disagrees please staighten me out THX

icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

I wasn't planning on disconnecting the headlightss while it was remote started, just the p.lights. The way I made up top works fine other than its actuated too quickly when the p.lights are already on (ie: during remote start at night when the autolights come on.) It did work fine otherwise, but is kind of redundant seeing as the autolights won't be on through the day rs parking light output car w/autolights -- posted image. So I just hooked it up normally without the relays, I don't want to go digging further into the harness as the light harness is a pita to get at... Thanks for helping though.

·Ï¢årµ§·
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic