icon

remote start, 98 ford mustang

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hotmilk400 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i have a 1988 ford mustang.  it already has a alarm installed, and it has a few extra outputs for things like power windows and remote start.  now i want to use the remote start feature.  i alerady have a large 12 volt relay (40 amp)  i understand how relays work and what not, but i wanna know if i will be able to do this.  now, is there 2 wires i can simplt touch together to start my car, and if so, what are they called, so i can add this relay..  i rather not just start touches wires togther if someone knows what wires i should look for.  thanks alot..
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
12 VOLT CONSTANT  YELLOW (+)   IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS   
 STARTER RED / LIGHT BLUE (+)  IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS   
 STARTER 2 N/A   
 IGNITION 1 RED / LIGHT GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS  
 IGNITION 2 BLACK/ LIGHT GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS   
 IGNITION 3 N/A     
 ACCESSORY /HEATER BLOWER 1 GRAY / YELLOW (+)  IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS   
 ACCESSORY /HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A     
 KEYSENSE N/A     
 PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) N/A     
 PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) BROWN (+)  @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH or in DRIVERS KICK PANEL   
 POWER LOCK PINK / YELLOW (TYPE C)  HIGH in DRIVERS KICK PANEL   
 POWER UNLOCK PINK/LIGHT GREEN (TYPE C)  HIGH in DRIVERS KICK PANEL   
 LOCK MOTOR WIRE N/A     
 DOOR TRIGGER BLACK/ BLUE (+)  IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL   
 DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION USE DOOR TRIGGER, Requires Part #775 Relay     
 TRUNK RELEASE PURPLE / YELLOW (+), Requires Part #775 Relay  @ TRUNK RELEASE SWITCH   
 SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A     
 HORN YELLOW/LIGHT GREEN (-)  @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS   
 TACH GREEN/ YELLOW  @ IGNITON COIL   
 WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A     
 BRAKE RED / LIGHT GREEN (+)  @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL   
 FACTORY ALARM DISARM  N/A     
 ANTI-THEFT N/A     
The search function is your friend.
peterubers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

I'm assuming your remote start/alarm system was simply not connected to the ignition system, therefore the necessary wires for remote starting were taped off (or removed from the wiring harness).

the remote starter had a heavy duty relay built into it, as well as a relay for ignition and accessory power.  Should be pretty straightforward for you to connect these wires to the Ford ignition, starter, and accessory wires.  You have two ignition wires, so you can use your 40A 12volt relay to power that second ignition wire off your first ignition wire, solving that problem.  However, this may not be necessary as many remote start brains have an auxillary (or two) wire to power 2nd ignition/2nd accessory/2nd starter, etc.

custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

You can not add a "remote start" to an alarm that simply...think about it...you use an output of the alarm to energize that relay to crank the car..then what? How does the relay know when the vehicle is running?/  It doesn't. And what about powering up the ignition?? you need that for the car to run as well. What about the HVAC? You want those to power up as well so the interior is warm in the winter and cool in the summer when you enter it..thats the purpose of a remote start..right?

If installing a remote start was as simple as adding a relay to an alarm output that would make an installers life easy..but unfortunatly there is more to it.

You need to purchase an "add on" remote start module..or some "stand alone" systems as well have an activation wire that can be used with an exisiting alarms output. Now there are ways to make a simple remote start using just relays, caps and diodes but it is much safer, relaible and simple to use a module.

Good luck and if you have any other questions just post.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
peterubers 
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

you will also have to connect the tachometer wire and brake wire for your remote starter feature to properly work.  What make/model of remote starter is already installed in the 'stang?  I'm assuming that if it has an output(s) for remote starting, that it has the necessary circuits and relays built into it to allow for remote starting.  Not sure I've ever seen an alarm system that allow and add-on remote starter. 

hotmilk400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
well see, what i was hoping is that i can just use the relay like a switch, and put it to the 2 ignition wires, like peter says.  i can hit the button on my remote, and let it start my car.  as for Heating and what not, considering if it was hot the day before, then my AC should still be one.  and would just start after the motor is running.   i was only thinking about doing this, and might as well try it.  im not going to fork out alot of money for a remote start, i figured i would just buy a $3 relay and try it this way.   it might look like a cheap, crapy way to do things, but im from PA, thats how we work.. :-p   its not like im going to put alot of money into this car, and the alarm was only $40 and figured it would pay for itself in no time (plus its nice to have remote powered locks)    so basily could i just touch the 2 ignition wires together, and the car would crank like i had the key in it (like a hotwireing job)   haha, yeah, im not 100% sure if having this relay was a good idea, but i figured i would ask to see if that was okay.  as long as touching 2 wires together will start the car, and nothing else, then im good.. if there is more, then i wont worrie about it..
peterubers 
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

No .. it still won't work the way you want it to --

You still aren't clear about what your alarm has built into it .. is or isn't there a remote start feature on your alarm brain?

Now, I'm assuming there is not, just an auxillary output that could trigger an add-on remote start unit as suggested by custom audio ny.

Yes, in theory you could use a negative pulse aux output to trigger a relay to connect 12 volts to the starter wire and when you "hear" that the car has started, you can LET GO of the button to stop it from continuing to crank -- kinda like what you do with a key in the ignition barrel every time you start a car.

However, after the car has turned over, the ignition and accessory wires need constant power.  So you need two aux (-) outputs from your alarm brain that have two separate button triggers: 1) first, you'll have to press the ignition button to send 12 volts fused constant power to the ignition and accessory wires.  2) then, you next will press and hold the "start" button on the keyfob to start your car.. and you'll have to let go after you hear the car successfully turn over.  3) when you get into your car... you'll have to put the key in the barrel, and turn to the III position (on/run position) and then press your alarm keyfob button to DISCONNECT the 12 volts fused constant power from the ignition and accessory wires so that when you're done driving around, your car will shut off w/ the key.  Otherwise, the car will continue to run after you've taken the key out.

Again, does your alarm brain have a remote starter built into it?  What is the make/model of the alarm? Hard to help w/o this information.

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Nope, a single relay is not gonna work. As custom audio ny said up above, a remote start monitors the car, and knows when the car is started, and tells the car when its safe to start, and when to stop cranking. I'd be rich if i could install a remote start with 1 relay. Code Alarm does have a remote start that can easily be added to your existing system. CA-410A. Basic unit so it's pretty cheap.
hotmilk400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
haha, thanks alot.. i dont know much about cars, but alot about electrical.  so thanks alot.. yeah my alarm just has  auxillary outputs.  yeah, i thought maybe there was more 2 it then just a simply relay.. but i wanted to see.. thanks alot! i think ill just let it go..
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

Or..you can use a latched output to a relay, press the remote and have it crank the starter until it burns out...but ...still..the car won't start....lol

Kidding around but hey...the question is valid for someone who does not really work on cars but understands what a relay can do. In a sense you were on the right track with your thinking...a remote start is really not much more then a bunch of relays... however, as stated before a way to monitor when the vehicle has actually started as well as monitoring RPM's and shutdown times etc is just something a simple SPDT relay will never be able to do.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic