Persistent Engine Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
demon_510 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Fosgate3 wrote:

That thing with the tape head... that's interesting. I'll check it out. You'd have the car running while doing this I'd guess, right? Head unit on but volume down to zero?

Oh and yes, the answer to the first question is "no". With the engine not running, there is no noise. The noise seems to fluctuate with the temperature?? as crazy as that sounds. It's more prominent in the mornings, less in the afternoon. It's very loud in the morning until I turn on the mp3 player. Since I listen to hit nearly all the time, the HU is left on it's Aux setting when I park the car.

Yes the car would have to be running, but the audio equipment would have to be off.  A possible reason why you might have more noise in the morning could be due to you alternator working a little harder warming up the car and charging your batterie/s. 

Do you have any grounds or positive wires crossing your RCA's or positives really close to your grounds?  You can also try to ground your HU where your amps are ground to and see if that eliminates your problem.  Do you have a passive eq or active x-overs?  I was running some Rane Eq's and they were a little on the noisy side till I grounded them to where my amps grounds.

Oh, and you might have issues with your RCA's and the path they are routed if you are taking an RCA and running it outside of the car, see if you have any grounds or power leads running next to your RCA's.  If noisy RCA's are the issue you can always run some steel braided sleeves over them and ground them the reverse direction of your signal flow.

Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
All those suggestions are good but have been exhausted already in many different ways. The car's battery is in the trunk so the amp is wired directly to it. Initially the RCAs ran through the middle but I moved them to the passenger side, thinking that there may have been some sort of interference with the factory wiring. That didnt do anything. I've grounded the radio, eq's, etc. to the same ground and positive as the amp, using 8guage cable and distribution blocks.. that didnt do anything. I've used three different HU's, 2 different amps, 4 different sets of RCA's... nothing. I've run RCA's outside the doors, through each side, over seats, etc.... nothing. The *ONLY* success that I have had was this weekend: I took a working spare amp to the trunk and wired it directly to the battery. I connected my portable mp3 player (Archos GMini 402e) to it using a 6ft 1/8 inch to RCA cable and kept the cable wound up (not spread out in the trunk). I used a 4inch test speaker. Started the car and no noise at all. I repeated the same thing with the existing HU and RCA's and I have noise. I switched the RCA's and had noise.. it just didnt work with the signal running through the car. While trying to work on it after the experiement with the mp3 player, I had success when I ran RCAs over the roof and then looped into the drivers door to the HU. At that point, I was able to use the Clarion HU (brand new 06 model) with the amp without noise.
demon_510 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

I forgot what Hz alternators operate at but if you have a large cable going from the alternator to the battery then you have a huge potential for inducing noise into your system.

If you are located in the Dallas area I would be money I can find your problem within an hour.  I dont work at a shop anymore or work on systems except my own but I am always willing to look at some work and help with troubleshooting.

Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

I'm about 4 hours from Dallas in West Monroe, LA. heh... if I cant figure it out, i may look you up!!!

I'm pretty certain there's a cable from the battery to the alt... that would only make sense. I wonder if re routing the cable (likely re-running it with 2 gauge) would help.

hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I sat here and thougt about this for a while. Usually after I think and all I come up with is a hunch, it usually ends up being the answer. So, I say, check your alternator. Possibly get replacement. Possibly check the voltage regulator. You said it could be varying with temperature? Semiconductors (ie in the voltage regulator) are sensitive to temperature. If there is an imbalance of some kind, this might cause a diode to act differently than the other. Ok, if one diode avalanches at a different voltage than the other, and they're alternating between them at the speed of the engine, then everythime the diodes switch back and forth, one of them would be inducing spikes into your whole ground system.
Hey, this might be totally off, like i missed an important fact somewhere, but thats all i have and i think you should look into it.
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
Fosgate3 
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged  

The alternator is a possibility that I havent forgotten but I've been postponing that until after I've tried everything else. Demon's comment about the power wire running from the alt through the car to the battery made me think "well duh! that makes sense!" And as Demon said, it may be b/c the mornings are when the alt has to strain the most to charge the battery so the whine is more intense at that point. Since the power from the alt is carried through the car from the front of the car to the trunk, then any alternator noise created has the potential to travel along with it. Thus, if the theory stands, anything carrying a signal en route to the battery is suspectible to be a carrier of the noise too. ... and of course, this could be completely off base and I could be wasting time looking at everything else but the alt.

Yesterday evening, I tested some aspects of this idea and ran a set of RCA's along the roof of the car, on the passenger side to the processors under the passenger seat (eclipse 2101 --yes i know it's an eq-- and AudioControl ESP-3). The input to the processors stayed routed the same way... just the output to the amp was changed. Doing this made a significant difference. In fact, I was able to use both front and rear RCA inputs on the amp with nearly non-existent noise. I had to strain to hear it in fact. That minimal amount couuld be resulting from how the input signal is run or something in the processing. Still, it was more than tolerable and could be considered successful. The idea was that if the alt cable is potentiall carrying noise, then running the signal as far from it as I can could alleivate the noise. What was more was that I pulled over on my drive home and was able to turn the gains up on the amp which I couldnt do before without significantly increasing the noise.

This did well until I arrived at home and turned off the mp3 player while the car was running. When the player was off, the noise came back very loudly. When I turned down the radio, the volume of the noise subsided. The gains on the amp are not much higher than half way (about 2/3 to 3/4 on the front and between 1/2 to 2/3 on the rear). So this time, I'm thinking input RCA routing still needs to be adjusted or turn the gains down on the amp which would suck since I'd have to turn the radio almost wide open to get what I want. I'm going to start by testing different runs with the input. Also, I'm going to reroute the power cable going from the battery to the alt from where it is now goign through interior of the car to running it along the frame on the underside shielded in conduit. Since the factory wiring looks to be 6 gauge, I'm going back with 4 gauge ofc cable (20ft by KnuKonceptz).

Fosgate3 
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

I've made some progress in this: Using the 8 gauge power and ground that I ran from the battery in the trunk to distribution blocks in the center console (see a previous post a couple of pages back), I grounded not just the radio, esp, 2101, and srk5 to it but also connected the cigarette lighter receptacle in the console to it. This is the receptacle that my mp3 player connects to. I clipped the factory wires and capped them off then ran replacement wires from the receptacle to the distribution block. Secondly, I ran the RCAs through the headliner and down the side wall where the seat belt is on the passenger side, to the processing equipment. All this made a significant difference in everything. The noise is at a very minimal, tolerable level--considerably better than anything that I've heard in the car prior to now.  

My next step is to rerun the main power cable from the battery to the alt, as I mentioned above. I received my order of 4gauge cable and will run it this weekend under the car, secured to the chassis, all the way to the passenger side (as opposed to the factory cable running through the middle of the car, inside the car). Then, I'm moving all the processing equipment to the drivers side (it's under the passenger seat now) as well as my RCA cables, routing them through the headliner as before.

Bit by bit, its coming.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Processing equipment under seats?  MP3 player plugged into cigarette lighter?  Yea, I didn't realize you had all that stuff in your system (perhaps I didn't read your posts carefully.)  First things first: disconnect all that stuff.  Strip your system down to HU, amps and speakers.  If no noise, then you know it's in your add-on gear.  Try adding one thing at a time and see what's causing the problem, then either fix it (which often means replacing it or regrounding it) or eliminate that piece from your signal path.  MP3 players plugged into cigarette lighters are almost always a noise source, by the way.
Support the12volt.com
demon_510 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
You said 8ga?  How many watts are you trying to acheive?  In my low wattage CRX I run 4ga and I only push 150 watts and no cap!
Fosgate3 
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

I've already bypassed everything in the car several times now and have run simply the different HU's and amps, even the mp3 player (minus the cigarret lighter) as a source. At this point, I've done this with multiple amps, multiple HU's, multiple RCA's, etc. I put the "other processing equipment" in just b/c I know it's not the problem as the problem existed without, didnt change with it. I can go back and do it all again but it's not going to help. The only thing thus far that has made any difference at all is what I just wrote: moving the RCA's through the head liner, well away from the factory 6gauge cable that runs from the battery to the alt, and redoing the ground for the 12v point that the mp3 player's charger plugs in at.

Yes, for the meantime, it is 8gauge which is suitable for amp that wont draw more than 40amps of current (in spite of the 50amps of fuses) for mids and highs.... especially on a 5 to 6 foot run. Eventually it will be stepped up to 4 gauge when I add a distribution block and the two Kicker DX700's that I havent started on yet. Gots to fix this first issue *wink*.

As far as the first point made for DYohn, I wish it was that simple for me.. I probably would have identified it about 2 wks ago before I ever made the post. Unfortunately, this is intensely complex. But yes, as stated, I've eliminated all in-between stuff. thinking back now, I dont think I posted that I got my hands on a 100% working PG XS4300 and put it, the mp3 player, and a set of RCAs in the trunk of the car with the battery. The XS was wired directly to the battery. The mp3 player was running off it's own battery, not using the car charger or anything. The RCAs were coiled up on the trunk floor. No noise. I kept the amp where it was,  used the same RCAs but moved the mp3 player through the car to the front,  had noise. Continued to have noise with the HU (just as before) with the same amp. So, that pretty much elminated the amp, I'd guess. I feel it did anyway. *shrug* I dont know...

Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic