icon

’94 2 door cavalier bass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
b1kshad0w 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2007 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

I currently own a 94' Cavalier and the bass does not hit like I want. Example, when I listen to One by Metallica in my old car it would hit hard and I could feel it in my chest. Now when there is hitting bass it is rather limp. I have two of the older (around 98' IMPP Pioneer) subwoofers. They are currently in a 2 cubic feet per woofer box. When I had them in my Firebird and my 95' (newer body style) cavalier, they would hit good. They hit the best in the Firebird. Anyways, I was using a mtx 2500dx I think was the model amplifier to run them. I recently purchased an Infinity 1211a mono amplifier. I also have/had eclipse subwoofers I paid $250 a piece for back in 2000. They had more power in the higher frequency, but never hit or sounded as good as the pioneers. I had been reading around about how great the Alpine Type-Rs are. Well, I went out a slaped down $450 bucks for a pair plus a Q-Logic 1.25 cubic foot per side box for 70 bucks. Well, on those the higher bass really didn't sound that great to me, but the lows around 25-30 hz where I like sounded good. I even tried taking out the insultation between the trunk and the rear seat with no real help.

Anyone have ideas why I can't get that same "hitting" bass as before? I was thinking of trying Pioneer TS-W307D2 http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_8341_Pioneer+TS-W307D2.html

and http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_7525_Sonic+Sub+Box-+2BV12.html

I have had other brand subwoofers but I have always been happy with the sound of the Pioneers so I figured I would try those. One of my favorite boxes was a pair of Pyramid 10s in a bandpass box in my Geo Tracker.

dman007 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Different car designs will result in different sounding bass.  The firebird being a hatchback, and the caviler being a coupe are designed differently.  Hatchbacks are more open, and there is no rear wall keeping the bass away from the listeners.
DTS Performance
St Petersburg, FL
b1kshad0w 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

I know, but even in my old Cavalier and Celebrity I didn't have any problems. I was thinking amp doesn't have power fast enough but I have a 4 guage wire straight from the battery. There has to be some variable that is stopping that hitting bass. I seen a box for 15" subs that should fit in my car. I might go that route but I'm not sure what subs to get. They make too many different models nowadays.

I would like to experiement with enclosures but I have no saw or garage. When I was younger I experimented and I built this kind of long triangular box for a pyramid subwoofer I had to play with. In that box it would sound like crap except for 20-30 hertz. At those frequencies the body panels of the car, even the hood, would bow in and out. Has anyone done any experiementing with box shapes? In sealed enclosures I always had much more output using triangular boxes with dampening material.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic