the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

any benefit using 1 sealed and 1 ported?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
allmet33 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

If you had a dual sub set up and wanted the best of a sealed enclosure and the best of a ported enclosure...would it make any sense to load each sub into an enclosure of each type?

All the set ups I've seen, I've either seen sealed, ported or bandpass.  I really don't recall seeing anyone employing a sealed box and a separate ported box.  Is that because this wouldn't work or what?

To me, it would seem to work in that the sealed box would give you the lower "rumble" that isn't really heard outside the car, but the ported box would give you the boomy punch that you hear down the block.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I was just curious.

'06 Hyundai Azera - Pioneer FH-P4200MP / Factory center channel & tweeters / Infinity Kappa 62.7i's; all 4 doors, 2 Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2 10" subs pushed w/Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
allmet33 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
So...ummmmmmm...is there a reasoning behind it.  I mean simply saying no benefit doesn't explain why it wouldn't work.  Would there be a cancellation issue or what? 
'06 Hyundai Azera - Pioneer FH-P4200MP / Factory center channel & tweeters / Infinity Kappa 62.7i's; all 4 doors, 2 Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2 10" subs pushed w/Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
There is no benefit from using one sub sealed and the other one ported that you cannot gain from simply using two subs in the same alignment and designing the system properly.  The idea that sealed will somehow give you "lower rumble" is wrong, and the idea that one is "tighter" or whatever than the other is a myth.  Design a system properly and you can get the most out of whatever speaker you choose to use.
Support the12volt.com
allmet33 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

Okay...now I'm completely lost.   My understanding is that a certain type of enclosure will yield you a certain type of bass.  So now you're telling me that I can create a system using a sealed enclosure to yield me the sound of a ported or bandpass system?

It's proven that a sealed box provides a tighter controlled bass...am I wrong or has the industry been spewing wrong information for decades?

Where is the myth that a sealed box gives a lower rumble that isn't necessarily heard outside the car but heard as well as felt inside the car as opposed to a ported box?  I've heard the difference for myself. 

If a type of enclosure doesn't have that effect, then why would a manufacturer provide data for 3 styles of box (if the sub will work in 3 different ones)?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

Choose the alignment that your subs will perform best with.  Then model it or have a professional do it to create the best enclosure for the subs and for your tastes.  Some woofers will perform best in a sealed, others will do best using a vented.  You will find the reason why within these search results.

If you don't see people using combinations of vented and sealed subs, you have to realize there's a reason for it.  You're right that it is a stupid question but I've heard worse.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

allmet33 wrote:
My understanding is that a certain type of enclosure will yield you a certain type of bass.

Certain types of enclosures will produce certain types of response curves.

allmet33 wrote:
So now you're telling me that I can create a system using a sealed enclosure to yield me the sound of a ported or bandpass system

The type of enclosure determines the response curve of the woofer.  You could, if you wanted to, build a sealed box with a response curve that mimics a given ported box.  Depending on the ported box.  I'd be less than optimal.

allmet33 wrote:
It's proven that a sealed box provides a tighter controlled bass...am I wrong or has the industry been spewing wrong information for decades?

Huh?  Tighter controlled bass?

The 'industry' spews mostly incorrect information.. as the proliferation of $100 RCA's and $200 capacitors aptly demonstrates.  While JL is guilty of the $100 RCA's, they tend to approach this stuff with a bit more thought than most manufacturers.

I really like their tutorial pages:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=147

allmet33 wrote:
Where is the myth that a sealed box gives a lower rumble that isn't necessarily heard outside the car but heard as well as felt inside the car as opposed to a ported box?  I've heard the difference for myself. 

No you haven't.  Actually, this is precisely backwards, as the benefit of a ported box *is* extended low end bass response.  What you heard was a sealed box that was playing very low frequencies rather well.  This actually speaks well of whatever woofer you heard since sealed enclosures have a -6db/octave slope... their response is generally lacking when you get down to <30 ~ 35hz.

Ported boxes are "tuned" to a specific frequency.. the particular ported box you heard had a higher tune than most audiophiles would be comfortable using... probably something in the area of 40 ~ 45hz.. which is why you now believe that ported boxes are punchy.  It really depends on the tune of the port.  A better (better here being defined as a box with the flattest response curve) ported box would have been ported lower.. perhaps ~32 hz...  that ported enclosure would have had much better low end than the sealed box you are comparing it with.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
allmet33 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you for taking the time to explain everything in detail.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic