icon

subwoofer pulses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nastynate88 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2007 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
i just hooked my new subwoofer to my amp. When i turn on my car/amplifier i can hear the subwoofer pulsing, like a heart beat. What is it caused by? Its a 2 ohm 500 watts RMS hooked up to a mtx thunder 81000d. I wires it in a 'series' so it will make it a 4 ohm so i don't blow it up? If i were to change it to parallel wiring so its 1 ohm the amp says it will be giving it 1500 watts rms and i ddont want it to blow up. at 4 ohms the amps giving it the 500 rms, i don't know if any of the Series/Parallel wiring has anything to do with the pulses of the speaker.
nastyone
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

MTX recommends against running this amp at a 1 ohm load, so your 4 ohm load is ideal.

As far as the pulsating, there could be a number of issues. More information would be helpful in order to help you. Are you using a factory or after market head unit, How is gain, eq, and freq, set? And lastly, ground.

rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
my Vote is For Pioneer HUsubwoofer pulses -- posted image.
nastynate88 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

im using a aftermarket head unit, the ground is connected from the battery to a capacitor, then to my amplifier. I have not yet set my frequency/gain/eq because i don't want to over do it. How do you know how far to set/turn each dial?

I used to have this mtx 81000d amp hooked to a 4 ohm dual voice sub 500 watt rms that ran a parallel wiring and had all the dials (frequency/gain/eq)all the way up. That speaker fried because after it pounded so much it cut the wires that connected to the terminals. but it sounded good.

Idk if the pulseing is caused because its a brand new speakers and has to be worn in?

nastyone
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  
Well no wonder everything is acting strange.  You don't have your system set up yet.  You haven't set the gains or crossovers yet.  Almost every amplifier manual gives some instructions on setting gain.  Websites for these manufacturers give these instructions.  They're easy to find.  You can find them here on this forum too with a subwoofer pulses -- posted image. for GAIN.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
b1kshad0w 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

Your ground should be set to the car's ground not the battery. Read in the faqs and you'll see I'm correct. I had a similar problem when I was younger, but I can't remember what had caused it.

nastynate88 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

how do i set the frequency and eq knobs on the amplifier, i know how to set the gain, but im shady on the freq and eq knobs? any help is appreciated thanks alot

nastyone
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
You either have a bad ground or a blown power supply section in the amp if the sub is just going thunk thunk thunk all the time.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
b1kshad0w 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

I'd just take it to someone who know's what they are doing to look it over. I'm pretty positive that the amplifer is not blown but the ground is wrong or something simple. I've fixed many blown amplifiers a long time ago and usually they either draw massive amounts of power and don't really put any out to the subs or they don't do anything at all.

stereo_guy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
i had a friend with a 98 gand am who had the same problem.  the cause was the ground.  he had the ground wire for his amp wrapped around the stabilizing bars of his trunk. once i disconnected that crap and grounded it to the body of the car the pulsing stopped.
bass is meant to be felt, not heard
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic