icon

vinyling

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tigerh4rf 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
guys i was ondering if someone could explain the process of covering a subbox in vinyl  to me also what is the best way to do a raised logo under vinyl.
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

A raised logo can be easily made out of packing foam and a sharp razor knife..if it is too thin double up. You can also purchase foam sheets at home depot or similar in various thickness..you don't want something too soft of it won't hold it's shape once the material is layed and pressed over it.

As far as wrapping a box in vinyl..I can tell you from experience..if you are going to see more then the face of the box..have an upolstry shop stitch it for you..the vinyl can not pysically bend around a box without major wrinkles...and trying to stretch and cut it to meet the excess is not the same as with trunkliner...it will simply look horrible any other way..well at least IMO.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
I prefer to use chip-board for my logos, it creates a cleaner image with sharper edges.
For vinyl, I recommend getting a hold of 4-way vinyl. It is a bit pricier but a LOT easier to use if you are new to wrapping.
As for procedure, it'll depend on the box's shape for how you skin it, but for corners use a heat gun to warm up the vinyl to make it easier to wrap without wrinkles.
Ganbatte ne!
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
mr.devil 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
I like to use 1/4" massonite for raised images and logos.  I usually sand all the edges at a 45 degree angle or use body filler to blend the logo into the box  before I vinyl.   You can vinyl the front, top, bottom and back of the box easily making one seam on the bottom or back of the box, where ever it wont be seen.  For the sides, route a 1/4" deep inset and tuck the previouse vinyl in here.  (If you are building your box, just inset the left and right sides a 1/4" when constructing).  Cut 1/4" massonite to fit flush with the sides.  Vinyl these sides and attach using glue.  It's the easiest and cleanest look since vinyl doesn't like sharp corners.
Devil's_Workshop
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 3:01 AM / IP Logged  

YOu will need adhesive too, what I am going to use on my door panels I made is Weldwood HHR Contact Cement....its not the stuff u get at homedepot at all. the place I found it was at my local auto trim shop where I got my vinyl too(i got it exactly matched to my interior). It usually comes in a 5 gallon pail but they were really nice and let me bring up a bottle so they could pour some in.  From what I read on the net, the Weldwood HHR Contact Cement (or found at "Weldwood Landau Top & Trim Cement" ) is one of the(if not the only) best adhesive to use. It withstands very high temps.

the shop owner said they use this on everything because it works so well. if you use the stuff at homedepot, it will have a chance of pealing off if its hot out.

also what I did to make it easier to upholster/vinyl is by taking the cloth backing off of the vinyl using MEK(nasty stuff from what I hear, ull want chemical gloves). I got it at Lowes.  TO do this i just took my vinyl, brushed the MEK on the backing, let it evaporate, brush some more on and then pulled the cloth backing off.  It will work like a charm now

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic