icon

too much power for one solobaric 10 l7?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pmezo 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Memphis 16-MC1000D amp and one solobaric 10'' L7 sub.  Will that amp be too much power for my one sub?

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Memphis_16-MC1000D/

custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

I see this question often..and always respond the same way so do not take it personally.

Amplifiers do not overpower speakers....people do.

In a perfect world all ampliflers and speakers would be perfectly matched right out of the box, but we all know this is typically not the case. Careful adjusting of the gain control and common sense with the volume control on your deck will yield a long and fruitful life from your sub(s).

Common misconceptions are that the gain is a volume control..or that the gain determines the amplifiers power rating. Neither is true.  Once the gain is set properly it will be matched to the head unit...then it is up to you by use of the volume control how much power you send to the speakers. If you find that the sub is overpowering your mids/highs you can lower the gain..or if you have a remote bass control and/or subwoofer level control on your deck..you can adjust from there to compensate.

Now for the good news. The amplifier is rated at 600w rms @ 2 ohm..mono rating since it is a mono amp. When you parallel the DVC on the L7..it will be a 2ohm 600w RMS sub...a match made in heaven.

Good luck and enjoy.

Hope that helped.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
pmezo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
THANK YOU!  Exactly what I wanted to hear.
pmezo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Actually one more questions.  I have a 07 g35 coupe and bought the stuff off one of my friends.  I'm a little worried because it's only one sub but how do you think it will sound in my trunk?  I'm getting a Zenclosure off ebay and i've heard that they are pretty good, but will one l7 be ok?
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

This question is quite subjective..in other words to a bass head 8 -12's might not be enough..but to a 70 year old woman..a 6 x 9 may be too much.

I can tell you this...I listen to all kinds of music..mostly heavy rock and alternative..but also hip hop and other..I pretty much listen to everything. I also play bass in a rock band so my hearing is going south..I like it loud.

The last few years I have only used one old JL 10w6 for my sub and have been very satisfied.

Your setup should put out quite a bit more SPL then mine (I power my sub with only 100w rms) so I say..try it..you might like it. If the enclosure works with that speaker you will be very surprised how loud it will be..and personally I am more impressed with those who use less equipment and sound incredible with it then those who load a bunch of stuff in the back till you can't see out the window and it sounds like ass.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
pmezo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I'm 23 and I listen to mostly rap, so that gives you an idea of the kind of bass I want.  I definitely want the car to shake, but not so much where you can't even think.  I'm going to give it a shot and see how it sounds.  Thanks for the help.
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
No problem..that setup should be plenty loud.
Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic