icon

12v accessory wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kenvette 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing an after-market radio in my 2001 Sunfire. The existing wire harness does not seem to have a switched 12V (ACC) wire to connect to the red wire of my radio harness. Where can I find this wire to tap into it?
Ken
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

The wire should be yellow @ the radio harness at the dash..as it has been with GM since the 1960's. If that wire is dead check the acc fuse. If the wire is still dead after you replace the fuse....tap off the thick brown wire @ the ignition harness and put your own fuse on that wire to prevent burning of wires or a main if something goes wrong.

Now theres one other possible scenereo, I don't recall the sunfire but a few of that era GM cars used a seperate amp/tuner box that is located elswhere in the vehicle...the unit in the dash is just a controller and you can not use any wires there. A quick way to tell is if there is no antenna cable at that area. If not you will need to locate the tuner/amp box (it is silver..has fins on one side like an amp..a few plugs on it..and the antenna cable.

You will need to extend all those wires and use an antenna extension cable and run those to where you are installing the new deck..all your speaker wires are there as well.

Hope that helped.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
kenvette 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
This car does not have a separate amp/tuner & controller. There is only one yellow wire at the radio harness and it is for the left rear speaker (-). The ignition harness is really hard to get at. Is there any other point where I can access the ACC feed?
Ken
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

There should be another yellow wire there for ACC...it is in the same harness as the ground (black)  constant (orange)  dimmer and ill. (brown and gray)..unless...the factory harness is hacked..isin't it?

Ok..this is cheesy but if you can not get to the ignition harness go to the (uggh)  fuse box. Use a fuse tap from the radio acc fuse and it will get you home, so to speak.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
kenvette 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Made it to the brown ACC wire. Tapped in, added an inline fuse and everyone is happy. Thanks for your help.
Ken
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2007 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

No problem at all ken....but will the mystery of the missing yellow accessory wire at the dash ever be solved???lol

Take it easy.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
burns25 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
the 2001 sunfire has the class 2 databus which means that there is no accessory at the radio, that is why you could not find one.
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

DOH !!!  I overlooked that....the Factory RDS head units of that year are databus....my bad....

kenvette...did you lose the doorchime ??

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
kenvette 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, I lost the doorchime. I was aware of that in advance, but didn't figure it was worth the extra coin for the databus cable. Thanks guys.
Ken

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic