icon

simple console project f 150 supercrew

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dacajunboy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

I had a pair of RF 10's that have been sitting in a box for 2 years now and I finally decided to do something with them.  Instead of the typical under the rear seat install I wanted to do something different.  I pulled the factory center console out and used its profile as a template for my new box.  Of course I lost a lot of storage and 4 cup holders, but what's more important? I also reused the 4 bolts that mount the console to the truck.

simple console project f 150 supercrew -- posted image.

I made my frame from some scrap MDF that survived the Hurricane.

I used an old pair of my wifes pants for the first layer.  Shhhh, she didn't notice yet.

I don't have any pictures between this one and the primer, I was so tired from the glass, resin, filler, and sanding I didn't take any pictures. But you know what that looks like anyway.

Here is where I messed up. I tried to cover it with truck bedliner spray in the aerosol can.  Well let's just say it did not give me the texture I was looking for.  I had tried it on a test piece earlier and it came out perfect, but when I tried to do the real thing it came out very uneven.

But after a lot and I mean a lot of sanding I was able to slavage it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably do everything different, and I would have just painted it rather than try the truck bed liner stuff.

isa-kuruption 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
Very nice job. I was just thinking about doing this myself, except I was hesitating (because I have an FX4 with the floor shifter), but since I have seen your job I think I'll give it a shot.
Question time. Did you use both subs in there? What was the internal volume approximately? Dimensions? I'm looking at doing the same thing in a supercab, except I want to use 3 JL 10W6's facing down.
Thanks.
dacajunboy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

Yes both subs are in there, one facing front, one facing the rear.  Dimensions? the only known dimensions are that its 13 inches wide at the bottom and 11.5 inches wide at the very top and its about 30 inches long from speaker to speaker and about 16 inches tall, I just free handed the layout.  I really didn't care about volume, because these are cheap speakers with little power going to them.  I would estimate it's about 3 cu. ft. I didn't bother separating the chambers although I could have relatively easily.  I know, I know, a lot of you will criticize me for having the speakers opposing each other in the same box without a divider.  I'm not trying to win any competitions here, obviously. I did stuff it with polyfill, just for the hell of it.  But considering the equipment I used they sound very good for what it cost me.

I say give it a shot.

roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
  i played around with that bedliner stuff- tried a couple different kinds (all under $15 a can).  one was ok, one was crap (cheapest), it came out like drippy black spray paint, and the other one gave me a pretty smooth, even texture i was looking for. i can't remember the make of the better one, but i do remember that it said "with sound deadening".    just fyi. 
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
giponu 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
man, now u dont have any cup holders :P
-[ g.i.p.o.n.u ]-
isa-kuruption 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2007 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
giponu wrote:
Heh... there are cup holders in the door panels on the front doors. As for the rear passengers, who cares about them :)
isa-kuruption 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2007 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
giponu wrote:
Heh... there are cup holders in the door panels on the front doors. As for the rear passengers, who cares about them :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic