icon

crazy alternator whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rh6248 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
I have an alpine w200 with an alphasonik aMP. When driving i get this annoying whinning noise and it gets louder with the RPM's. I re- ran my rca cables and made sure they are not running next to any power lines or harnesses, but this still doesnt solve the problem. I put the original factory radio back in just to play around and test it. I ran speaker inputs to the amp instead of the rca and WOW the noise is unbearable and now it has a lot of static in the back ground even when the car is at idle. Im gonna try grounding to another point in th car and see what happens. If anybody has any other suggestions please help me out it will be appreciated. Thanx.... Also anybody know where i can take classes on car customizing in new york tri state area im really interested in  the field and wanna learn how to do it all.
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

-good, solid ground at head unit, and on amp?  equal size power and ground wires?

rcas' run with power wire-or on opposite sides of the car?- okay, you already answered that.

are you getting noise from the sub, or through the highs (highs running off head unit, or amp?- i am not too familiar with alphasonic amps)

have you done a 'big 3' upgrade?

(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
rh6248 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
yeah im getting the noise once the amp is turned on. If i turn the volume down you hear a lot of static and then when i press the gas forget about it. Its very frustrating. Where i grounded it i grind the paint off and used a star washer. Im gonna try and move it around to a different location and see what happens.
rawcustumz 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

You need to check your grounds as stated above.

My guess is when you put that headunit in you prob bought a wiring harness and used that to plug into the factory wiring correct?  Well either way its better to run a seperate power wire to the radio from the battery and use a seperate ground for the radio instead of using the ones on the wiring harness.
You need to use the same size ground and power wire at the amps as stated above.  Use a star washer when grounding the ground wire this will help it become a more soild connection to the metal, it digs into it.
Good Luck
Later
Bernie

Bernie
MECP Certified
64 Impala Wagon
2007 Camry LE
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

Okay re-run your RCA's and do not ever, ever again think about using speaker level inputs to run an amplifier.

What output voltage are your RCA's?

Turn your gains down on your amp and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

Alphasonik amps are about the cheesiest amps you can buy.  You could also invest in a quality amplifier.  You might find your problem will not go away until you do.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
I doubt you are having the problems because you have an alphasonik. I have personally heard their products recently and while they are not Jl audio or anything, people use crappy companies everyday without encountering problems. What type of headunit do you have? Some are very prone to noise problems even when properly grounded. Completely move your rca's away from anything electric including your turn on wire. Pioneer and JVC are known to have noise issues when using their preouts. Also maybe your rca's are right near a factory wire harness with power.
rh6248 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2007 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
I have the alpine w200 head unit. I re ran the rca's and kept them away from everything also i re grounded in another location and im still having the same problem. By any chance would a grounded speaker cause this problem because now i notice if i plug a set of rca's into the line outs on the alphasonik and dasiy chain it to my alpine amp for the subs the speakers in the front somehow become louder. Im begining to become totally baffled by this problem. I never encountered this before. Please help it will be greatly appreciated its kinda tough driving with no music due to noise driving me INSANE.
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2007 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
If you plug an ipod into the inputs of your amp while the rca's coming from your headunit are disconnected, do you still have noise? This will at least let us narrow down the source of your noise.
rh6248 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2007 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for your advice I tried it and here r the results. I plugged the rca cable into the amp but i did not connect the ipod. I still heard the noise but when i plugged the ipod into the other end of the rca cable the noise disappeared. I then unplugged the ipod again and the noise came back, i then disconnected the rca cables going to the amp powering the sub and the noise disappeared. So im either assuming its something wrong with the amp powering the sub or one of my speakers are grounded. By the way the amp powering my sub is an alpine MRP 450 anyway thanks again and if you have any more ideas  please reply
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2007 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
It appears that you have lost ground on the shields of yuor RCA jacks on your radio. To verify this take a short length of wire, ground one end and with your engine running touch the other end of the wire to the shield of your Patch cord. This should make a little pop and the noise should go away. let us know if this works and we can tell you how to fix it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic