icon

1991 pontiac sunbird tape deck wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eixaw 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
My 1991 Pontiac Sunbird has an OEM audio setup with a separate tape deck in a console far below the radio. Does anyone know the wiring which connects the tape deck to the head unit? Wire colors(in order) are as follows: tan, white, black(thick), orange, blue, gray, black, blue with black stripe. Tape deck doesn't work; I want to connect a portable CD player through these wires.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
usually you just use a standard Metra 70-1858 and replace the cassette with an ETR CD player.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
eixaw 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
The problem I face is the tiny size of the radio and therefore the dash configuration. I have been told that I need a large and very expensive middle dash molding to fit an aftermarket ETR CD player. The car's age doesn't justify the expense. This is why I want to use the wiring which connects to the existing radio. This unit still has very good sound, and I want to use it to amplify an inexpensive portable CD player. I'm not tight, but I am retired and have a limited budget.
Eixaw
wlmpwlmp 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
i drive this vehicle, and it costed me nothing extra to put in an aftermarket deck. the trim plate that now sits in front of the current tape deck simply pulls off. Once you remove the factory cassette deck, and remove the factory brackets holding it in it's place an aftermarket deck will fit in it place. All you then have to do is cut(i used a hacksaw) the original cassette opening trim piece you pulled off wider to clear the new deck face plate. Cut enough off both sides of this trim in equal amounts, same goes for the height. the opening is not tall enough either. this cut is a little difficult but can be done. if you have a dremel tool it is much easier. this car has a factory amp in behind the radio part up top which you will unplug it's wire harness feeding it and then apply that harness mentioned in the earlier post to it.  The antenna is also plugged into the fac. amp. unplug it and put it to your new deck(you will need an antenna adapter too as gm uses micro plug) The original radio up top will no longer light up or work whatsover after this. It sounds complicated but as you dissassemble the cassette area it will become clear what im taliking about. I hope this helps. They do sell a kit but all the kit does is save you the cutting. 
WesMan
wlmpwlmp 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
sorry guys i misread the post a little, a regular cheapo cd deck will give you better sound than trying to use one of those portable guys with the existing factroy setup.
WesMan
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
plus you can buy the trim bezel replacement that goes around the old casette from Metra for pennies and save an hour or more of hacking up the old one....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
eixaw 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, WesMan, for your great idea on using the tape deck console as the place to mount an aftermarket unit. This makes the installation affordable. Thanks, Kevin, for your faceplate suggestion. I recently cut the pipe connected to my old muffler with a hacksaw, and I don't want to handle a hacksaw for a while.
However, I still remain curious about the OEM tape deck wires, even if I may not use the info. If anyone knows, I would appreciate having that info. Thanks, guys.
Eixaw

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic