icon

attaching a resistor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
runswit2guns 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys. i have a resitor and the led. i am new to wiring, but i am in the process of learning about it. i assume the resitor goes inbetween the power source and the led, but my question...is there any reason why i should not solder the resistor to the wire from the led? thanks a lot
jayem7516 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, the resistor goes between the power source and LED, doesn't matter whether you connect the resistor to the negative or positive. However the LED is polar, the longer leg connects to the positive terminal of the power source.
I don't see why there should be any problem soldering the resistor straight to the LED, you'll have to insulate the terminals though to prevent short circuiting.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  

Shouldn't be a problem soldering, just make sure that you don't get the LED too hot.. it's unlikely, but you could damage it.

Jim

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2007 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

I've damaged many LEDs while soldering, so be careful and it may be beneficial to use a heat sink.

In my case I damaged them while soldering wires to the leads, after the leads had been cut very short.  If you keep the leads long it won't be as much of a problem, but you will have to worry about insulating the long leads to prevent them from shorting out to each other.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic