icon

alpine type r 12’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alpine dude 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
hey im new here been surfin here for a while now i wanna ask . got lots of info but didint find one thing. I have a alpine type r 12 with a mrd 605,with a 1.75 ported to about 32 hz . now i bought another type r and wanna put them in a ported box thing is do i realy need that box can i have them in a regular ported box. thanks much p.s. im going to put another 605 to it.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
What's that mean, a "regular ported box"?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
alpine dude 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
like insted of a box built to its specs like the one i have is. can i put them in a regular ported box. With like lets say a slot in the center of the box
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

Problem with a premade vented box is that the tuning freq and size is most likely not optimum for your subs.  The type r should be tuned pretty low...I would tune in the 20's...and the box size on the large side.  Finding a premade box like that, I don't know.  I'll bet the box you have your eye on is tuned to 40 Hz and gives each sub 1.25 cu ft.  About right?  I would need to look at the specific Type R model a little closer, but my bet is for 2 or 2+ cu ft per sub with box tuning at mid-20's. 

I don't like the idea of buying a premade vented box.  But, sure, it could be done if it's a good match for the subs in question.  The subs can share the same vent...they don't each have to have their own.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
alpine dude 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
would it be a good idea to put two type r 12's into a premade ported box. both are going to have a mrd 605 running them. thing is ihave a 1.75 ported bot with one tuned to 32hz will i hear a differance in a pre made ported box or even hurt them?
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
You're going to hear a difference in any box design. Your best bet would be to not even consider a pre-fab and build one yourself according to Alpines' recommended specs for that specific sub. This way, unless you build a couple trial-and-error boxes first, you know they'll be performing at nearly max efficiency. Good Luck!
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
alpine dude 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
would like to run both of my alpine mrd-605 amps to two type r woofers. i have a 4 to 8 gauge distrabution block and some 4 foot rca's to hook amp to amp how about the remote run from one amp to other they are gonna be next to each other . Am i missing anything replys apprechated
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

That's fine. Get 2Ohm woofers (if you plan on having one on each amp) to get max output from amps. Your remote wire idea seems fine. Just don't use it on more than say 3 things or it'll stop working (from having to power-up too many things). You'll need to do the Big3 Upgrade to supply enough power to the amps.

What kind of vehicle, HU, etc...?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
the remote wire idea is perfectly fine. how much power do these amps make at the impedance of the woofer? While the 'big 3' upgrade will help, it isnt mandatory.
Are these woofers in a common chamber?
alpine dude 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
newer kenwood head and a ported box oh yeah its a 1999 acura cl coupe
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic