icon

passlock, 96 grand am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slatert 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 96 grandd am been trying to get started it seems the theft sys light will not go out and cant get car going,first off car has remote starter switch which i have had off thought that may be prob (not) so far anyway.have tried to leave key in ign for 6 hours still would not re-set it.disconnected batterie for 1 hour and still wont start any help pls? i was told thru a friend to cut yellow wire and ad toggle switch but car has to be running first,how can i do that when i cant get car running.
thanks
steve
straight up
dea,can 
Copper - Posts: 284
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
does the light flash when its in on the position
dragon
slatert 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
no light does not flash
straight up
slatert 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
well i have been told that it is possible my remote thats causing problem so i have taken it upon myself to try to remove it.there seems to be two modules one is ct3100 and patsk 200 not sure if they are both part of it?? next all the wiring is quite overwhelming but going to try to give it a go any help with where i can locate wiring diagram to re connect it back to factory would be great.
thanks everyone for the input in this site great info.
straight up
b2reptile 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  

Let me see-

1. Red "THEFT" light on dash is on solid when ever the key is on?

2. Does the engine crank while trying to start car?

3. What kind of Passlock bypass is installed with remote start?

4. Is this an alarm, any starter kill relays?

slatert 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
it does crank but wont actually start.red theft sys light will not go out i have left key in start position prior for 1 hour still would not go out.as for the other question i took out two modules as i sd one is a patsk200 and the other ct3100 these were basically hooked together not sure about what kind of bypass was installed with remote unit how do i tell if there is??this is not an alarm sys.
straight up
b2reptile 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  

That patsk200 was probably connected to a smaller yellow wire at the ignition harness, sometimes that wire is cut to install the module.  Are you sure the ign harness wires are all connected back to factory?

The theft light is connected to your cars Passlock I antitheft system.  When you turn your key to the start/crank position, there is a resistance built into the key cylinder that is sent (through the yellow wire) to the cars computer. When the proper signal is received at the correct time, the computer will allow the fuel pump to deliver fuel.  If the comp see's a bad signal , ie. someone trying to hotwire the car, power to your fuel pump is cut-off.

It seems there is a problem with this Passlock I system.  You can crank your engine, but it will not start without gas.

Sometimes, the ignition switch can go bad, or the computer/fuel pump cut-off relay can also have a problem.  Just check that ign harness for any wiring problems first. 

slatert 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
well all wires that were connected to the factory wires were soudered into factory wires so nothing seems like it was cut factory wires that is.the wires from the 2 modules were more or less fused to the original wires.i did have to reconnect yellow wire that was cut there were 3 together yellow,white and black very fine wires that led to ign switch, i take it that is part of the passlock? so right now all accesories work radio etc... and i turned key to start w/o cranking it but theft sys light still on even after removing all remote items could it mean comp needs to be re-programmed?? i am not much on electrical.thanks for previous post.
steve
straight up
pro17 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
I encountered an 04 silverado with a similar problem. check to see if the headlight fuse is not blown, or missing. on the silverado, someone pulled out the main headlights fuse and forgot to put it back. the truck wouldn't start, it would crank, but it would not start. check your fuses, one may be powering part of the passlock system
slatert 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 5:44 AM / IP Logged  
i am trying to find wiring diagram for 1996 grand am se for ignition i just recently removed remote starter and i want to make sure eveything is back to original.when they installed it they did not cut any factory wires just spliced into them thats what i can see anyway.the reason i also want diagram is because i was just told that if i jurn ign on to start wait ten mins then wait ten then etc... it should re set comp but didnt work thft sys still on so i am hoping i didnt miss anything. all lights accesories etc... are working so i figuire no wires are disconnected or not connected otherwise certain things would not function?? any help would be great.
steve
straight up
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic