the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

12s over 10s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ra0062 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
Just asking for opinions or advice on dumping my 2 10W3v3s for 12W3v3s. I'm sure it will be louder, no doubt. but will it be night/day difference? Will it be close to +3db gain? Just trying to justify the cost. I would be porting them like my 10s.
Listened to a guys truck at the JL dealer, running 4-12W3s ported through a bed cut. Holy crap I was having trouble breathing with it cranked....lol...I could see a few vehicles park lights flashing in the parking lot... when the music went down I could hear their alarms going off.....that was freakin loud!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
1: Barely
2: Not likely
3: No, probably less than 1dB
4: Don't think you can :)
All else being identical, changing NOTHING but the woofers, I don't think you'll notice a tremendous difference. Certainly not worth the cost of scrapping two perfectly serviceable 10's...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ra0062 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
(+) Dealer is offering to talk to owner about full refund, I just pay the difference in price. Since I payroll deduct 1/2 my paycheck to dealer every week, Just kidding.
(-) Have to slave away again in the garage, building new ported boxes.
buying more carpet, mdf.....
(+) Hitting the lower Hz better?
(-) Wishing I would have just bought another pair of 10s and another 500/1.
Ok, I'll just chill, and think about doubling my setup.
Thanks for your advice.
ra0062 
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Could I ask one quick question?
I've set my gain on the 500/1 with my DMM,(subs 2 Ohms in series: 4 Ohms) So set gain to JLs spec. 44.7 volts,(50hz tone at 3/4 volume) and so, I thought I'd check to see just what happens when I turn the bass boost up a little, and sure enough the volts go up. So does this mean I'll be clipping if I try to use any boost at all?
Should I just turn that up by ear, and listen for a change in the tone? Or just not mess with the boost at all?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
yeah...if you crank the boost the amp will most likely clip a lot sooner.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 5:10 AM / IP Logged  

ra0062 wrote:
Just asking for opinions or advice on dumping my 2 10W3v3s for 12W3v3s. I'm sure it will be louder, no doubt. but will it be night/day difference? Will it be close to +3db gain? Just trying to justify the cost. I would be porting them like my 10s.

Hmm.  Why don't you go to www.linearteam.dk and download that little freeware program and answer the question for yourself?  You'd be amazed the answer really isn't very concrete at all.

There are lots of variables here beyond "i'll be porting them like my 10's."

Anyway, in my opinion, no matter what you do, the difference will not be worth the cost. 

I think you should just get another 10w3.  You'd *definately* get your 3db then and it'd take up about the space a ported box for 12's would.

ra0062 wrote:
So set gain to JLs spec. 44.7 volts,(50hz tone at 3/4 volume) and so, I thought I'd check to see just what happens when I turn the bass boost up a little, and sure enough the volts go up. So does this mean I'll be clipping if I try to use any boost at all?

Now that is a good question.  My understanding of JL's gain setting process means that the 44.7 volts of output the is maximum clean output from that JL-amp.  The higher voltage is indicating more power is being produced, but this power is clipped power.  I've had better luck with JL amps turning the gain down a bit and dialing UP the boost knob.  Eitherway, in terms of actual operation, I wouldn't exceed that 44.7volts... I'm sure you'll be fine in terms of equipment longevity.. JL stuff really is built to last... but I think you'd get a marked falloff in sound quality.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic