icon

tuning, crossover, amp settings

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maxmodder 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
I just put this into my 2000 dodge intrepid and need to know where to start as far as tuning it. Heres what I have:
Sony CDXMP70 head unit
2 JL AUDIO 12W3V2 D2's (setup to 2 ohm load so each recieves around 400w)
MB QUART RCE269 6X9 2 way component
ADS 346CS Components
Alpine MRV-F545 125w x 4 @ 4 ohm
Alpine MRD-M1005 1000w x 2 @ 2 ohm
I know that user preference plays a big role, but I'm just looking for some starting points.
http://dodgeintrepid.net/photopost/...861box8-med.jpg
http://dodgeintrepid.net/photopost/...861box9-med.jpg
Here is what I need help on:
1.) Sony CDXMP70 head unit has LP crossover at 78hz or 125hz and HP crossover at 78hz and 125hz. What should I set them too or should I just turn them off?
2.) Settings on the MRV-F545?
Channel 1 and 2 are the fronts, CH3 and CH4 are the 6x9's
CH1,2 filter: HP, LP or OFF?
CH 3,4 filter: HP, LP or OFF?
I would think HP for both is the correct choice?
When the frequency multiplication switch is set to the
“X1” position, the crossover frequency can be adjusted in
the range of 30 to 400Hz.
When the frequency multiplication switch is set to the
“X20” position, the crossover frequency can be adjusted
in the range of 600 Hz to 8 kHz.
Which position should I set it for CH1 and CH2? What frequency should I set?
Which position should I set it for CH3 and CH4? What frequency should I set?
Input channel: Set this switch to “3/4” to have the inputs of
CH-3/4 accept independent input signals. An
example of this application would be the use
of a head unit with dual pre-amp outputs. Since I have dual pre-amp outputs, this selection of 3/4 is obvious.
Gains: I can choose between 0.2V – 4V. I'm thinking that 1V is about 75% of the gain turned up? My speakers can handle 60 - 150 RMS, so 100RMS to each should be good, right?
Bass Eq: Adjustment range: 0 dB – +16 dB What should I select? For CH1/CH2 and CH3/CH4?
Settings for the MRD-M1005:
Crossover Frequency: My range is 30 to 200hz. Is 80hz good for the subs?
Lowpass Filter Slope Selector Switch
The Lowpass Filter slope can be set for either
12dB/oct. or 24dB/ Not sure what to do here.
Subsonic Mode Selector Switch: 0, 15 and 30hz
I take it that I set this switch to “OFF” when I want to hear tones not possible when the Subsonic filter switch is used.
Gains: Adjustment range 0.1V – 8V: I'm thinking that 2V would be round 75% of the gains turned up. Should this be what I set it for to get around 400w to each sub?
Bass EQ adjustment: Adjustment range: 0 dB – +16 dB: What should I put this at?
ADS crossover settings:
Tweeter phase: 0 or 180?
Tweeter Level Switch: 0 -3 +3 db?
Any help on this so that I can avoid paying alot to have it tuned professionally would help. i'd really like to learn to be able to do it, but there are just so many combinations and trial and error is hard.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

My recomendations for basic setup:

Xovers in HU set to OFF; Xovers in MRV-F545 set to HP, X1 and 80-100Hz; Xover in MRD-M1005 set to LP, 24db/octave, and 80-100Hz (you want the Xover frequencies on both amps matched as closely as possible.)  ADS passive crossover set to 0 phase and 0 level.  Back to the amps.  Set all the Bass EQ levels to OFF or 0db.  If your woofer enclosure is ported, set the subsonic filter on the MRD-M1005 to the setting just lower than the port tuning frequency.  If the enclosures are sealed, turn it off.

Input gains.  Obtain a CD with test tones.  Set all gains to their lowest settings.  Set your HU tone controls to flat.  Wear hearing protection.  Play a tone in the subwoofer band, say around 60Hz.  Put the CD on track repeat.  Turn up the HU volume until you can hear the tone change.  It will be like it has suddenly gone "sharp."  This indicates the volume level where your HU begins to clip.  Remember this volume, it is your new maximum for playing back music.  Turn the HU down slowly until the tone changes back to normal.  Let it play.  Go to the subwoofer amp and slowly turn up the gain until you again hear the tone change (the amplifier is now clipping) then turn it back down until the tone is normal again.  Leave it there.  Don't ever move it.  Go back to the HU and stop the CD.  Change to a track around 1000 Hz and do the same thing with the main amplifier channels.  It is possible with good quality amps you will not be able to make the amplifier clip.  In this case, you will have to use the voltage method for setting gain and you may need help from a pro.

Support the12volt.com
maxmodder 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks!  I'll give it a shot.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic